Bathroom Extraction

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by derekg, Dec 9, 2008.

1. derekg

derekg New Member

I need to fit an extract fan in the bathroom, the only option I have is to extract through the roof.
    I've been looking at the Versa- Tile, are these easy to install ? Also I am trying to locate the size of them, I have no idea who makes these ?
    Regards

2. redrobh

redrobh New Member

Hi, yes I fitted one recently, instructions come with it, hardest part is staying on the roof, I would hire a roof ladder at least. Sized to fit most concrete roof tiles, roof vent tiles are fiendishly difficult things to get hold of I found and can be ridiculously expensive..

3. Joatmojo

Joatmojo New Member

Mess around with a sound roof at your (and its!) peril.

Have a look at Lapvents mechanical extraction fitting for its internally mounted roof vent - it really is the dogs doo daa's.

Joatmojo

4. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

If you have a roof, then you must have a gable/and or a soffit somewhere?

5. derekg

derekg New Member

Thanks for the replies.
    The Eaves are blocked up at the wall plate so the soffits are inaccessable.
    Not heard of lapvents??

6. Joatmojo

Joatmojo New Member

www.lapvent.co.uk

7. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

"The Eaves are blocked up at the wall plate so the soffits are inaccessable."

So I assume you have a warm roof then?

Because if you don't and your eaves are blocked up you're gonna have a ventilation issue a little bigger than the one you have now.

8. derekg

derekg New Member

No it's a cold roof and yep I have a severe condensation problem!!

9. Joatmojo

Joatmojo New Member

Have you had a look at the Lapvent website yet?

10. CheshireBuilder

CheshireBuilder New Member

go with joatmojo i had not seen these before, and could of used them many times, have been browsing the site they are a quality idea

11. derekg

derekg New Member

OK, installed one at the weekend bit of a bummer since the felt was quite tight I'll have to see how it goes.

12. Joatmojo

Joatmojo New Member

Why has tight underfelt been a problem Derekq?

13. derekg

derekg New Member

Have you fitted one ? If so you would know.

Cheers

14. Joatmojo

Joatmojo New Member

I have retro-fitted 380 in the re-roofs of a hospital complex, and quite a few more in other projects with no difficulty.

So long as you slit far anough down the run of underfelt (making another parallel cut lower down if necessary) and recover correctly, you shouldn't have had much of a problem really.

Sorry to learn that you had a bit of a struggle - I feel guilty, because I recommended them in the first place.

Joatmojo

15. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Like most things, easy when you know how ;)

16. derekg

derekg New Member

Joatmojo, It's basically a good product but I think that it's expensive for a bit of plastic. I had to cut away quite a section of felt to get it to slide under the remains of the felt, this left a gaping hole at the botom end.
    I have pretty severe condensation in the loft and was thinking of fitting some of the non-mechanical versions, problem is that they are expensive (£56 each) and I haven't a clue how many to install, at that price I don't want to be buying more than I need.

17. Joatmojo

Joatmojo New Member

the actual unit is not just a piece of plastic though is it derekq. A great deal of thought has gone into its construction and there are many unique safety features - actually, there's quite a lot to it, and it ought to have come in kit form, I think?

I'm afraid there would be no 'gaping' hole at the bottom end though if installed properly!

However, £56 each does seem to be a bit expensive, is that for just one? To be fair, a single externally fitted type 'tile' vent would probably cost more if you included delivery costs - a single entity is often nearlly as expensive as two or more.

If you like, I may be able to help if you could take a few digital shots of the job and get them to me somehow.

Joatmojo

18. derekg

derekg New Member

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking them it's a good idea.

My only concern is that if I buy say 2 then I need say 6 them it starts to add up. Just found out they are £45 each for up to 10 units.

The mechanical extract version is £56 for upto 10 units.