I thought this was brilliant.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Proud Grandad, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Proud Grandad

Proud Grandad New Member

Bill Gates was recently asked to give a talk to high school pupils in America. He talked about how the feel-good, politically correct teaching had created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this had set them up for failure in the real world. This is the gist of what he said and I think it deserves a wider audience.

Life is not fair. Get used to it.
    The world won't care about your self esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish sometning BEFORE you feel good about yourself.
    You will NOT make $50,000 straight out of high school. It takes time and it has to be EARNED.
    If you think your teacher is tough wait till you get a boss.
    Doing menial jobs is NOT beneath your dignity.
    Before you were born your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are. Before you rush off to save the rain forest try cleaning up your own room.
    If you mess up it's NOT your parents fault so don't whinge about your mistakes, learn from them.
    Your school may have done away with winners and losers but life HAS NOT. In some schools they abolished failing grades and they give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't resemble ANYTHING in real life.
    Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and employers are not interested in helping you to FIND YOURSELF. Do that in your own time.
    Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to work.
    Be nice to nerds. Chances sre you'll end up working for one.

2. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Thanks for sharing that with us 'Proud Grandad'. I could not agree more.

3. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

I like!

I like it very much!

I li... ohfurfukssakes, I agree with BiggusDickus :(

4. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

True indeed ;)

5. rome60

rome60 New Member

Bill Gates is a good man gives his money away now that being the only way to spend it fast enough.:)

6. Walterfilter

Walterfilter New Member

As good as the content of the speech was, the source of the material is as follows:..........

This is not from Bill Gates. It's an excerpt from the book "Dumbing Down our Kids" by educator Charles Sykes. It is a list of eleven things you did not learn in school and directed at high school and college grads

7. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Hmmmm........plagiarism!! A word that will spring to mind at Apple, soon after mentioning his name, I think you'll find!! But, he is a very fine fellow & will go down in history as one of the best!!!

8. Proud Grandad

Proud Grandad New Member

Well, if you're right Walterfilter I can only apologise for giving false information but I passed on what I'd been told.
    It is still brilliant. Cheers.

9. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Hey, Proud Grandad how's the grandson doing with his plumbing apprenticeship?
    We've not heard from you for ages!

10. Simon J

Simon J New Member

I like that a lot proud grandad, I might even send it to the Education Authorities to remind them of reality!

11. Proud Grandad

Proud Grandad New Member

Hello Tapwrench
    Thanks for asking. I'm pleased to tell you that he is doing very well. He had to resit one exam but so did four others. Apart from that he's reaping the reward for his hard work.He'll turn out to be a top notch tradesman in due course just like many others on this forum.
    Cheers.

12. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

Hello Tapwrench
    Thanks for asking. I'm pleased to tell you that he is
    doing very well. He had to resit one exam but so did
    four others. Apart from that he's reaping the reward
    for his hard work.He'll turn out to be a top notch
    tradesman in due course just like many others on this
    forum.
    Cheers.

I'm glad, and I'm sure we all are, that things are going well for your grandson.

Whoever wrote the text you quoted was dead right, I remember challenging the head master of my son's junior school a few years ago.

On one hand he would not let all the most athletic kids compete in the running events on sports day for fear of making the less athletic kids feel inferior and on the other hand he was preaching to parents about the need to prepare kids to compete for jobs in a global market.

The two philosophies didn't align in my view.

13. Proud Grandad

Proud Grandad New Member

I was pretty sure this article would strike a chord with all the dads on here and with hardworking tradesmen who despair at the quality of some youths who have just left school. Regardless of who said those things they ring a loud bell in all who have taken the knocks in life without crying "It's not fair. I know my rights. You can't do this to me." etc. etc. etc.

14. Walterfilter

Walterfilter New Member

Hey Proudgrandad, don't apologise....a very worthwhile post as the content of the speech made by Bill Gates was superb and he is still an amazing guy unless of course you are a linux fan.... (that's a comment for all the ex IT ccc's ;) )

15. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

I'm always banging on about how good our education system is here in Scotland and I'll always stand by my view.

Here is one example; Parents night for forth year pupils.

'Well Headmaster, what do you think of a career as a Sound Engineer'??
    'Eh? You are joking right, we will only push our pupils into careers that puts money in their pockets, Degrees in 'Design' etc are a load of rubbish'!!

What a top man & that is why we Jocks are running the UK & many multinational companies!!!

16. multijack

multijack Member

Starting to wish I was Scottish???....
    Suppose the english are getting a bit of payback for all the years of empire building......
    HA HA HA HA....serves em right.

PROUD TO BE CORNISH!!!!

17. mantor

mantor New Member

I'm always banging on about how good our education system is here in Scotland and I'll always stand by my view.

Here is one example; Parents night for forth year pupils.

Heeheehee, keep it going Dick it must be accidental cos......

you couldn't make it up.

18. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Jack, again the Jocks paid a very large part in the British Empire, just check the number of Scots that were 'Governers'.