Paint on Galvanised?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Bennysouth, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Bennysouth

Bennysouth New Member

Hi All,

Have just had a new support pole made to measure to support a porch, its made from galvanised steel (bare metal). The supplier said it does not need priming as it is "galvanised" would this be the case?

I'm looking to achieve a gloss finish was thinking of priming, undercoating and top coat of gloss.

Thanks Benny

2. Tig Bits

Tig Bits Member

G'morning Benny,

Your supplier couldn't be more wrong. Not only does the galvanised surface need priming but you need to use an etch primer if you want the paint to last more than a year.

Hope this helps.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes, you will need to prime the galvenized surface, try Quick Drying Metal Primer by Dulux or Hammerite Special Metals Primer .

4. T-C

T-C New Member

defo special metals primer from hammerite, degrease before hand. T-C

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I thought you could put Hammerite straight on to galvanised!!!!!

Am I wrong ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes you are wrong.... galvanization is a process which covers ferrous metals with zinc to inhibit rusting, zinc being a non ferrous metal.

7. THE BUILDER MAN

THE BUILDER MAN New Member

totally agree with tig bits, anything galvinised needs etching before painting, how ever this is quiet often done by the people how galvinize the steel etc ie if you had your new gates galvinized you normally would have the option to have them etched also. So anyway it needs etching so get some etching solution and do it unless you no for sure its already been done, then prime undercoat gloss etc etc

8. Bennysouth

Bennysouth New Member

Thanks chaps

Sounds like primer is the way to go.

much appreciated

Benny