Drill eater

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Welshmally, Jan 13, 2009.

1. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Thanks, multijack - good to have an explanation :)

2. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

Multijack

That explanation makes a lot of sense.

3. Measure2cut1

Measure2cut1 New Member

Welshmally

I agree with all the posters who say get a SDS. My house has old bricks, some of which are very hard. I too used to chew up masonary bits with my old B&D.

I go a DeWalt SDS from our hosts about a month after moving in 10 years ago and it still drills as if it is butter.

The only time that I have worn SDS bits out is when I accidently had the drill in reverse.

M2C1

4. Welshmally

Welshmally New Member

Once again, all you kind folks have come up with the goodies!

I will get the old £25 Ferm out next time I need a hole! It's looking a bit second hand, ever since I used it with a 52mm core cutter (through engineering brick). Yes, I know it's dangerous, but needs must an' all that! I shan't do it again, Yer Honour.

To blow my own trumpet, I had to cut a hole for some plumbing - I had about room for about 6mm of error up and down. Got it spot on! Mind you, I could barely move the next day, my shoulders were killing me!!!

Thanks to you all.
    WM

5. ultimatehandyman

ultimatehandyman New Member

There is a massive difference between a sds drill and a normal hammer drill, see here- Hammer drill versus SDS drill

There are times though when it is recommended that you should not use a sds drill, such as when installing wall ties as an sds drill can knock large chunks of brick off the wall and into the cavity.

6. multijack

multijack Member

Thanks for the thanks...and not only...but also....
    SDS is only a referance to the chuck mechanism which I think bosch came up with...some of the jigsaws they make also have a blade holding system refered to as SDS too.
    Its Stands for...
    Simple delivery system...or
    Simple drive system...or
    Single delivery system...or
    Something similar...

The "SDS" drill we all know and love is ...as before...an electro-pneumatic rotary hammer...think its largely called an "SDS" by everyone cos its much less of a mouthful......

"Pass up the SDS mate"
    or
    "Pass up the electro pneumatic rotary hammer mate"

Not heard many builders saying the latter!!!!!:)

7. multijack

multijack Member

SDS....Special Direct System....Bosch 1970's

8. Not impressed

Not impressed New Member

The day I picked up my SDS was the day I put down my hammer drill, like a knife through butter, no more wrist slappers, well as long as the clutch works, as for FERM get a Makita.

9. Welshmally

Welshmally New Member

What, for 25 quid? Not for the amount I use it.

I'll let you pro's spend the big dosh - you need decent kit for day in, day out working, not like us occasional users. Mind you, I bought a little DeWalt drill driver some 5 years ago - cost almost as much as the Bosch. It's been through thick and thin without a whisper of complaint - best bit of kit I ever bought, and the batteries are only just starting to lose some of their stamina. I wouldn't hesitate to get the same again, or at least one of similar quality.

I find it very interesting that there is no clear 'winner' when it comes to power tools on this forum - you all have your favourites and nothing really stands out. Makes it harder when trying to choose new tools......!
    WM

10. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

I've got the Dewalt 36v SDS on a Li ion battery.

The unit is great! Recently the gearbox did go so the chuck wouldn't turn. That didn't stop the drill bit being hammered into the wall!

11. mad.max

mad.max New Member

SDS....Special Direct System....Bosch 1970's

"The SDS bit was developed by Bosch in 1975 and the name comes from the German "Steck – Dreh – Sitz" (Insert – Twist – Stay). German-speaking countries may use "Spannen durch System" (Clamping System), though Bosch uses "Special Direct System" for international purposes."

Can't believe anyone is struggling with drilling into eng. blocks these days. Get a "Steck – Dreh – Sitz", and save time and ££'s. P.s. don't use hammer on thermolite!

12. mad.max

mad.max New Member

SDS = So Damn Simple
    So Don't struggle
    So don't sweat etc (others?)

13. multijack

multijack Member

Nice one max...my SDS knowledge has been pushed to a new level...:)

14. Ken.L.Worth

Ken.L.Worth New Member

A masonry drill works exactly like a cold chisel, effectively crushing by impact and not cutting/paring like a twist drill in metal or wood for example.

Have a close look at the pointy end of a masonry drill bit and you'll see the inserts don't have a "cutting" edge at the leading edge of the tip, they are like cold chisels aimed slightly at an angle just like you would hold it by hand if you were working round in a circle with a club hammer. It's the hammer blow which does the material removal, the rotation is simply so it works round in a circle and the helix extracts the dust.

With a percussion drill you struggle to get enough energy in the blow so you end up trying to wear away the brick by brute force which just generates heat and wears out the bit. As everyone says, the SDS has a much greater blow energy delivery so does the job itself, you don't need to push and it doesn't wear the drillbit.

15. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

The Bosch drill bits that were mentioned originally do have ground cutting faces, that's how they can be used in a drill/driver without impact, but much slower & more hard work than SDS.....OK for drilling tiles though ;)

16. Dewalt Devotee

Dewalt Devotee New Member

Yes stick with your Bosch bits,thet are pricey but the best thing ive used so far as well.

17. house of horrors

house of horrors New Member

Come on Welshmally, tell us you bought some SDS bits and are now beside yourself with disbelief and have a house riddled with random holes!...they'll come in handy for something

18. Welshmally

Welshmally New Member

How did you know? If you filled up my house with water (not beyond a possibility with my plumbing skills :( ) you would, cartoon-like, see streams of water like a colander! I had such fun, and Mrs WM is running around behind me with a huge tub of Polyfilla, but I'm just too damned quick for her!!

Now, where's my nail gun - there must be SOMETHING loose that needs fixing. I know, I'll start with the wallpaper..........