Staircase experts, Give me an idea b4 I get ripped off please!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by golfpro, Jan 23, 2009.

1. golfpro

golfpro New Member

Hi all,
    I`m having to renew & relocate staircase thats to steep and out of regs. Are kid, who`s 7 is in a wheelchair and its doing my back in trying to get her round sharp angle into lounge at bottom of the old staircase. So it has to be moved.

What sort of money will it cost to go up into a dormer room in a bungalow with a straight staircase with a 90 deg turn at last three steps. 2400 x 900 to play with and height of 2600 to dormer floor. No rails no spindles . Cutting into floor a ceiling new aperture and a hand rail. Its out of regs which is allowed because were having a primary proper regs stairs put in.

The second one is same height, normal 42 deg pitch and has a turn for first three steps and then straight up to a attic. then create a mini dormer created around it for a landing. That`ll be insulated and have a door put in to left for attic and to right for dormer access. Spindles and newels to be 41mm and modern decent but not expensive and bull nosed start step. Trusses in attic on this one need strengthening a bit, so that too.

Also to fill in the hole form old stairs 2200 x 840.

Any ideas chaps rough guide. How you`d price each one??? Stairs will be carpetted by sep fitter so cheapest construction type stairs woods used except for bullnose maybe in pine.

Give me some ideas with Vat. Im paying the regs permit.

Cheers for all and any help.
    C

2. Jack Rafter

Jack Rafter New Member

Can you tell me how much to expect to pay for golf lessons before I get ripped off? Nothing fancy needed we can practice in the road in front of my house to keep the costs down. I can get cheap balls from sports warehouse or the pound shop or the missus says we can boil some eggs (will this work?). Also do you know where they sell pringle jumpers cheap?
    I need to keep this as cheap as possible was thinking of entering the Open this year so I need to get trained up fast!

3. gint

gint Member

"some ideas with vat"
    yes tiger its 15%

4. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

5. golfpro

golfpro New Member

Thats very witty. Well done.

I make a point of suggesting to people on Moneysaving expert website just where to buy best value golf equipment and what to look out for in qualifications to get the best lessons for your money.

I thought a recipricol element might work here!

Unfortunately I had to give up my Golf profession due to to prolapsed discs. I havent been able to work for 7 years. Not because of back but because our daughter has cerebral palsy and is terminally ill.

Still thought i had mentioned enough to intimate that in first post.

My Vat statement was asking for estimates for work including the vat not ideas to get round the vat.

I just asked for ball park figure so as not to pay to much. Have a nice day , by the way if you drop the attitude you`ll enjoy your golf better and take tuition on board more easily. Pringle went out of busness 10 years ago but I dont want to teach you to suck eggs. Not when your wife can boil them so well.
    C

6. gint

gint Member

didnt realise "are kid" was your daughter ! and surely if estimate says plus vat everybody in the land knows its 15%. if its not stated then maybe person is not vat registered, just ask.
    FOOOUUUURRRRRR

7. OLD COLLIER

OLD COLLIER New Member

Stairplan is NOT cheap.

I'm a joiner making stairs, windows, doors, whatever, and I thought I'd farm out the oak staircase in a barn conversion because there was so much else to do. I sent the details to three stair manufacturers, they all came back at about the same price, plus or minus a couple of hundred. They were all two grand more expensive than my estimate for the work.

Get a local chippy to look at your job.

And yeah, some people shouldn't be let out on their own.

8. golfpro

golfpro New Member

GINT
    Yes perhaps grammatical error "are Kid" should be "our kid" But some how the way that slang is pronounced sounds better spelled phonetically ARRRRR KID! if you know what I mean.

Anyway let me clear up the VAT statement again. I know VAT is 15% I just threw in a few last minute details to help you help me. I.e. If you give me a ball park figure make sure its with the vat added so I can save time asking if it was gross of vat or inclusive.

The next line was "I paying the regs". Which meant dont factor that into your quotes I will be paying it not the chippie.
    Anyway thanks for the apology,its accepted obviously! BUT have you any idea how much were looking at so I dont pay over the odds.
    Cheers
    C

9. chappers

chappers Member

Stairplan might not be cheap for oak but I can assure you they are for mdf and pine staircases(usually about half the price of anyone round our way).

10. OLD COLLIER

OLD COLLIER New Member

Does that include <u>local</u> carpenters?

11. chappers

chappers Member

I do mainly loft conversions and for winder staircases none of my local joinery shops can get anywhere near stairplan.In fact the last staircase I fitted was a strange one and due to headheight restrictions some of the goings on the winders had to be slightly out of regs, because of this stairplans software wouldn't allow them to sort it. Their nearest match staircase was £860 + VAT I ended up paying £1600 + VAT. It was a bit of a head scratcher and I would expect to pay a bit more for the custom fit, but DOUBLE.
    I must admit this is the first time for about 5 years that i have approached a local joiner, but the reason i started using stairplan was mainly based on price.
    As an aside the quality of their staircases is far superior to any hand cut staircase I have fitted.

12. supachip

supachip New Member

For a price guide to supply from magnets . I ordered a bottom winder staircase 1000mm wide 3300mm going and a floor to floor hight of 2760. This is for a paint grade finish with handrail spindles/ complete kit .

£633 + vat

13. golfpro

golfpro New Member

Thats more like it chaps.

I needed some comparissons for pricing.

Any body know labour charges for fitting these and cutting out new hole in ceiling, strengthening floor and trusses etc and fitting spindles and newels.

They said it was nearly two weeks works so 10 days labour.
    What does a joiner expect and his mate per day or per this job?
    My quotes are coming in next week so i`ll let you all know what they quoted, just to run it by you.
    Cheers
    C

14. supachip

supachip New Member

Price could depend on were you live . In east kent were i live 200/250 a day for trade and labour. Central london ?????????

15. OLD COLLIER

OLD COLLIER New Member

Thanks Chappers, that's good to know. I'll see how they compare with my costs. If they can make them cheaper than me then I'll farm the job out if it's worth it. But of course, if I'm fitting the thing then all the margin comes to me, but then again I guess their quality is bound to be better because their machines are set up for specific operations and designed for the job... worth a look. I'll get some drawings off to them.

16. OLD COLLIER

OLD COLLIER New Member

And Supachip, will look at the Magnet ones too. Thanks.

17. chappers

chappers Member

the quality of their stairs is great as they are all CNC machined and always trial assembled before despatch.

10 days to fit a staircase they are having a laugh 1 man half a day to trim out the hole and then 2 men 1 day to fit the staircase and maybe 1 man half a day or less to do the finishing.

18. Welshmally

Welshmally New Member

My builders put in a suspended floor, 2 dormers and the staircase in 12 days, did the rest myself. Having said that, he had up to 4 guys at some points in the operation. 10 days for just cutting/trimming the hole and the staircase seems a little slow in my opinion - 2 boys took a day for the stairs, and it is a double winder.
    WM

19. golfpro

golfpro New Member

Now Thats Interesting!

Did seem a bit slow I thought. I`ll have first of two quotes tomorra. So will put them on here.

Best to try and get an idea of how long this work takes as thats the only way og pre guessing the quote I suppose. Working out how much of return they want for their time served and difficulty level.
    I always assumed that the stairs made in a joinery locally would be pro nearly twice as much as stairplan or tradestairs. So we will see. I asked them to itemise the invoice and seperate the two stairs for pricing as well.
    Best thing now I suppose is to post the quote here and see what reaction I get.
    Cheers

20. golfpro

golfpro New Member

Had two quotes one for 3k not vat registered and one for 5100 inc vat.

Amazing variation? Yet they both quoted same for creation build of staircases x 2 as each other.

Getting a few more.