What sort of pipe?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by john.kreelman, Feb 21, 2009.

1. john.kreelman

john.kreelman New Member

Hey guys & gals. It's all changed since I was in the trade (sparks).

We're moving house soon & I'm doing a budget (because we're on one!).

I was gonna use the 'plastic pipe' for ease to install with copper to rads & boiler (used speedfit in the past).
    I see there's BPEX, PE-X & Polybutylene. Which do I use for what? I'm putting the tails to where the plumber will be **** the boiler install. So what pipe for heating? Same for hot water? What about cold feed for kitchen - different or same?

Many thanks.

2. tackleburger

tackleburger New Member

Mate they all have a spec just check it. Most can be used for H&C water and heating. I use Hep20 when using plastic just choice. Only need one type of sleeve for all fittings.

The boiler should be in all copper for at least the last meter but generally anything on show you want in copper looks much better. All gas pipe work must be in copper. best doing the airing cupboard in copper as well. Keep the plastic out of sight saying that the white 10mm stuff looks ok comming up to rads.

I do the vast majority of my work in copper as a preference and use plastic when it makes sense to do so.

You'll get loads of opinions on here.

3. john.kreelman

john.kreelman New Member

I agree that the copper looks much better coming up to the hardware etc & it 'feels' safer, something about plastic that doesn't quite feel right, but hey, times move.

Interresting to know that the sleeves (fittings?) are uni for all the types of pipe, ta.

It's funny, I've not been on site for 7 years now & I'm so looking forward to getting on with this, but it's also so amazing how the old brain forgets and how things have changed. Even with the bonding side of it.

Anyway, many thanks tackleburger for the prompt reply.

Regards.

4. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

whatever manu you decide on use it exclusively and dont try and mix and match fittings with pipe. Hep 2 0 has thinner stainless inserts so restricts the flow less, some manus are demountable so you can take apart easily, some aren't so you have to chop the fittings off

5. john.kreelman

john.kreelman New Member

To be honest I'll use the speed fit as I've used it in the past and was impressed with the speed at the install. It's been ok for the past seven years as well. The inserts impress me, with the two o-ring seal as well as the joint.

The locking collar seems prudent as well.

Thinking about it, I know that's what feels uncompfy with the plastic, it's too quick to fit. Whereas in the past you had to measure, mark & bend, clean, flux, get the mats out, light the torch, solder, wait etc etc. I've even put a tee in a live system in g/f floor void. Yeh it sprayed & I got a tad wet, but after that, repressured it was done!

Ta

6. DUDE123

DUDE123 Member

make sure for your CH you use barrier pipe (i have used hep20 in the past)(most new builds spec it now days)

7. imran_

imran_ New Member

Polybuteylene is a bit more expensive and a bit easier to work with.

I use plastic when I need a long run (since no intermediate joints) or through joists. Otherwise I use copper.

Plastic is not quicker or cheaper to install for a pro. You have to clip plastic 4-6 times MORE than copper - otherwise it will sag or kick. So by the time you've fitted your extra clips I'll be on the next length of copper.

Most plastic is just thrown in, and as a result problems occur down the line. But then you can do a bad job in any material.