tolerance when building

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by worryer, Mar 3, 2009.

1. ­

­ New Member

Do you still think it's worth the risk?

2. Swiss Tony

Swiss Tony New Member

600mm too high, on a detached house. Not a little side or rear extension then. Find me a sad story about that and I will be impressed.

Post the story about the guy who built his extension 200mm longer than it should have been and had to knock it all down, and I will worship the keyboard you dribble over.

Its not actually that easy to build to the drawings, especially with no tolerence, but hey, ride 'em cowby, what would I know.

Swizz

3. ­

­ New Member

Ok then, read this!

A former interior designer who spent £120,000 on a new housing extension is being told to tear it down.
    Linda Gardner has been renovating her Haywards Lane home in Cheltenham for the past six months.
    But her two-storey extension to provide a study, kitchen-diner, bedroom and loft breaches its planning permission because <u>it's too big</u>, and councillors say it must be rebuilt.
    The 55-year-old said: &#147;I have put in a great deal of work and including landscaping it has cost about £120,000 so far.
    &#147;It would be terrible if I have to pull it all down and I will certainly appeal.
    &#147;There was only one complaint about all this, from the next door neighbour, and we have tried our hardest to work around him.&#148;
    She bought the 1950s building two years ago for her 32-year-old son Tom, who wanted to start a career as a builder.
    It was to be his first project and he would move in once finished. But he was struck down with vascular necrosis, needed hip replacements and can no longer manage the physical work.
    &#147;He's just come out of hospital after the operations and this hassle and potential expense is the last thing he needs, it will hit him hard,&#148; she said.
    The ground floor aspect of the extension is 30cm wider, 45cm longer and 10cm higher than approved, while the first floor exceeds the plans by 90cm in width and 80cm in length.Linda put its size down to mix-ups between the architect and builders.
    Cheltenham borough councillors reached their verdict at a planning committee meeting last week.
    Following representation from neighbour Dave Crisp, who described it as &#147;unsightly&#148; they voted unanimously for enforcement action.
    Coun Jacky Fletcher (C. Benhall and The Reddings) said: &#147;It's absolutely astonishing when you see it on site, there's a total disregard of the approved plans.
    &#147;It has to be demolished and rebuilt, otherwise what message are we sending out to other developers?&#148;

4. ­

­ New Member

Do you still think it's worth the risk? :^O

5. Swiss Tony

Swiss Tony New Member

Hey, Mr blank, I do hope that you didn't waste too much of your afternoon searching for those, to assuage my lack of interest in the topic. Unless you keep newspaper cuttings in your wallet to remind yourself how to build.

Lets just say that you would be great working for Building Control in Runcorn. I wonder if you actually do live there? Give them a call anyway, I reckon you would fit in perfectly.

Anyway, lets imagine that Mr OP builds his side extension 200mm too long. I know the floor will collapse and the kitchen won't fit, but humour me for a while.

When its complete, lets imagine that the BCO dobbs him in to the Planners who come and measure it up. Hmmm, 200mmm too big, knock it down please Mr OP.

How do you think he would fare with a new planning application? Is the 200mm going to make a difference to anyone? Will he get approval?

Either way, I was the one on this thread that told him that there is zero tolerence allowed. Follow the drawings Mr OP. Nobody EVER builds anything too big, even 52mm. On a 1:100 drawing we may only be talking about half a millimetre, but accuracy is required and follow the drawing to the letter. (Or line)

Mr Blank, can I worship your keyboard now?

Swizz

6. Swiss Tony

Swiss Tony New Member

Hey, where did Runcorn come into it?

Quick Mr Blank, move to Cheltenham. Although they were talking about 900mm, (three feet), or one big step to you, 52mm is sufficient to be the same.

Any of these in Runcorn? 50mm too big and an order for demolition would be great. Look in your wallet, I am sure you have a cutting you can type out for me.

Go on, go on, go on

Swizzie

7. manassa

manassa New Member

I agree with swiss.I,ve never had a bco check external dimensions on any of my jobs in 20 years.Unless it involves spans of timber or steels its nothing to do with building regs.

8. mike pcs

mike pcs New Member

Why not just build the damned thing to size; it aint difficult. Tighten or widen the perps a little to get full brick bonds....or broken bond in the middle of the particular wall span.

Theres a speed limit outside my sons' school of 20MPH. Oh, it'll be ok if I do 25 cos it's near enough to 20.....and there probably wont be a cop with a speed camera there ...or will there.......

9. Axel

Axel New Member

Worryer,

Please not that there are many more things you would would need to consider if you make your extension larger than the drawings such as minimum daylight requirements based on floor area and minimum ventilation requirements based on the volume of the room. Building Control will check all of these factors when you apply for a buiding warant adn again whne they do their habitation inspection.

You have been given some very good advice in this thread and also some very bad advice from idiots and cowboys. I trust you will now know the right thing to do.

Axel

10. bigjules

bigjules New Member

Just build it to the approved drawing!!

What's the problem with that??

No one builds to exact brick dimensions and even if they did, standard external joinery isn't brick dims anyway!!

11. ­

­ New Member

Well, Swiss Tony has managed to make himself look stupid, careless, reckless, a cowboy and a complete idiot with only a handfull of posts. :^O

His advice is the sort that gets homeowners into trouble, thinking they can build their extension 'a bit bigger' than the approved plans.

What a twit.

12. ­

­ New Member

This is his first post on this subject:

The planners won't give a monkeys as long as you are within a reasonable size. Its not as if its a public building. In your back garden it really doesn't matter.

I would say that if you have 5000mm approved, don't go more than 5200mm.

Unless there is a complaint, the Planners will never come and look at what you have done anyway.

Swizz

So what's 'within a reasonable size' then?

Not a public building eh! Oh, that's alright then :^O

It's in my back garden so it 'really doesn't matter' :^O

5000mm approved so don't go more than 5200mm Wahay!

Unless there's a complaint....Whoops, someone's complained, wtf do I do now :(

13. worryer

worryer New Member

Wow getting some mixed responces here, still not 100% clear. Iam not planning on building bigger or smaller, just was wondering what a reasonable tolerance would be, from a decent builder.

14. CheshireBuilder

CheshireBuilder New Member

first few posts were valid, its the size as to the plans to the nearest brick, there is no need to go 200mm over...
    you always build to the nearest brick! if you wanna be really fussy then as you are doing the first run of bricks half way along keep measuring and control the mortar but to be fair thats just to much bul*it...nearest brick is the way

15. manassa

manassa New Member

You are living up to your username a bit..;)
    Why are you worrying about tolerances.
    If the wall is 5m long it can be built without cuts by adjusting the perps.

16. worryer

worryer New Member

nearest brick it is then.....

17. T

T Member

as long as it looks like the picture and building control are happy

18. Guest

Using a wide angled lens you'll get away with at least a metre :^O

19. Axel

Axel New Member

The very first reply answered your question, then the cowboys and clowns got involved.

If you decide to listen to the cowboys and clowns and build your extension to the "nearest brick" which you can only do for a few courses, then the very best of luck to you. You will need it!

Subject closed for me.

Axel

20. <u>The very first reply answered your question,</u> then cowboys and clowns got involved.

Your first post was the eighth one.:p