Removing Wall Advice

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Createv, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Createv

Createv New Member

Hello

I am looking to remove a wall that is constructed using a wood frame then covered with plasterboard both sides.

I think it's a stud wall

The wall splits the downstairs kitchen and dining room, I have lifted the floorboard's in the bedroom above and the joists are running parallel with the wall I am looking to remove.

Is it ok to remove I don't think it's a load bearing wall

Any thoughts on this

Thanks/

2. Big Jumbo

Big Jumbo New Member

You seem to have the right idea. It should be ok to remove and should leave the ceiling intact if you are lucky. Go steady to avoid damage to adjacent walls.

3. Createv

Createv New Member

thanks for your reply

anyone else

4. sputnik

sputnik New Member

if its near to a staircase studwall can sometime be load bearing to support the end of the joists where the stairs comes through the floor. doesnt sound to be the case tho.

5. Createv

Createv New Member

thanks for your time in helping out

Nope there is no staircase near the wall to be removed.

Just wish to get as much info and advice before I remove best to be safe.

6. r0land

r0land New Member

I did exactly the same thing in my old house, sounds like the same scenario. Fairly straightforward to do and with a bit of care the redecorating (skirting and coving especially) can be kept to a a minimum. I still needed a building warrant to do it though, might be worth checking that out.

Cheers