Best method for hiding screws

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by r0land, Mar 17, 2009.

1. r0land

r0land New Member

I’m just in the process of fitting handrails to my decking and wondered what would be the best way to conceal any screws from view. I am building it in such a way that the vast majority of the screws holding the balusters, fillet rail etc will be hidden anyway but there will be a few that I need to conceal. I was thinking about using a mix of sawdust and PVA and using it as filler or alternatively using some dowel tapped into the holes above the screwheads. If I use the second method, is it possible to buy tanalised dowel or will I be ok just using normal wood. Any other methods I should perhaps consider.
    Thanks for any advice
    Cheers

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You can buy plugs or pellets or you can buy a plug cutter and make your own from scrap handrail.

3. MattChip

MattChip New Member

If it is only a few then you can (with a very sharp chisel) cut into the wood with a diagonal strike, lift the splitting wood peice, screw underneath and Mitre-Mate and sand the peice back into place

4. earl e finish

earl e finish New Member

Pellets cut from scrap as stated with a decent pva is the way to go mate.

5. ultimatehandyman

ultimatehandyman New Member

The screw digger method is a good way to hide the screws.

This might help, it shows how to use them- Handrail fixing

screwdigger

6. r0land

r0land New Member

Cheers folks, much appreciated.