What White Paint.... for timber fencing

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Combo, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Combo

Combo Member

Need to paint 150m of post + 3 rail rough sawn timber fence round an outside horse arena. Timber is in just about OK condition, with old white paint on it (no idea what sort).

New timber is not an option at present (due to cost), but would guess present fence would only last a few more years. <u>What's the best paint & method for this job ?</u>

Would plan a quick wire brush down first. Don't want to go down the primer, undercoat, gloss route, if I can avoid it, nor spend too much on the paint, but then also I don't want to waste my time applying 'rubbish'. Had wondered about Dulux Weathershield which I see is on 3 for 2 offer at Homebase at present.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I would have thought you would have to bear in mind that horses eat fences.

3. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

what do you mean 'wood is just about ok'?

if it is decaying you will be wasting your time trying to save it. can you replace localised timbers to keep the cost down?

there is no skill needed in replacing such timbers. the skill is in how you subsequently treat it.

4. decorator dave

decorator dave New Member

hi combo,

I would recommend sadolin white, ideal for sawn timber

regards

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

dd, I think you mean Sadolin Superdec White?

6. decorator dave

decorator dave New Member

hi astramax,

not 100% sure, got an old tin kicking around in the garage.

used it about 1 year ago for a whole estate of pickett fencing, and to be honest was glad to see the back of that job, 78 gardens in total, was dreaming of pickett fences for ages.

7. Combo

Combo Member

Thanks for the advice. Sadolin Superdec looks good, but very pricey. Cost a few hundred quid to paint all round!!I would defo use it on new wood, probably not worth the price on old wood. Anyone know if it is safe for horses to eat ? (Great comment). The wood is good enough to paint, thanks, as I've already replaced all the bits that need replacing.