Boiler madness?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Swiss Tony, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Swiss Tony

Swiss Tony New Member

Is this a totally stupid idea, or a touch of brilliance? I think i know the answer already.

Boiler installed for about 5 years in a hard water area and quite badly kettled.

i added some Furnox stuff, and it got better, but not clear. Reduced the noise and banging in the pipes by about 30%

As its the summer now, I thought of taking the darn thing off the wall and filling it with some form of descaler and sorting it out once and for all.

Other than anyone voting Labour tomorrow, is there anything more stupid? Or is there a better way?

Cheers

Swizz

2. G Brown

G Brown New Member

3. Swiss Tony

Swiss Tony New Member

Thats the sort of stuff I used already.

I was wondering if I took the boiler off the wall, laid it on its side, and filled it with neat descaler, it wouldn't stand a chance of not cleaning it perfectly. Or get another bottle of the stuff you said and doing the same. using it neat rather than watered down in the system.

Swizz

4. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Make & Model of boiler?

5. Swiss Tony

Swiss Tony New Member

Bought from Wickes. I think its a Best 60.

6. G Brown

G Brown New Member

That's a Halstead boiler - rubbish! ;)

Just use the descaler as per MI's It will do the job, there may be other reasons why you are having problems.

7. imran_

imran_ New Member

Powerflush it - there's probably loads of other carp in the system. Did a WB a while back, HEX so scaled up there was no flow and the high stat kicked in. FX2 and 30 mins later boiler was working 100% so that I could heat up the water to flush the rest of the system.

8. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Descale and powerflush - you can hire the machines from a hire centre and DIY it if you think you are up to it! ;)

9. Swiss Tony

Swiss Tony New Member

I have heard that doing a powerflush may cause, or reveal other problems.

My thought was that if I am attacking the build up of limescale in the boiler, laying it on its side and filling with descaler has to be a good direct way to clear it.

I will be flushing the system as best I can as well.

Swiss

10. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Your boiler is only part of the problem, clean the whole system.

11. imran_

imran_ New Member

It's gonna take a looong time if it's really stuffed. The powerflush machine creates turbulence and alternates pump direction to clean much quicker.

Powerflushing CAN lead to pinhole leaks being detected, but that's only because it was rust/carp holding it together. My advice is "Better it identify them and fix them whilst a plumber is on site!!

12. Razor69

Razor69 New Member

Swiss Tony descaling a boiler is a little like making love to a beautiful woman.

You need to prepare it, caress it, peel it's casings off, remove it from the wall, lay it on it's side and gently slide............... the bluddy thing into a skip where it belongs and fit a decent boiler.

13. imran_

imran_ New Member

Swiss Tony, you need to connect your power machine to her, fill her up and then blast her will your full force. The aim is to get as much 5*it out as possible so it doesn't matter whether you pump her the right way or in reverse. Just make sure you add something to make sure it's not gonna rust.

14. billybongos

billybongos New Member

imran:

I am really fussy on powerflushing / boiler problems... you are always 100% correct on your advice!

kind regards