radiator size

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by mfw, Jun 14, 2009.

1. mfw

mfw New Member

can anyone help me? how do i work out what size radiators i need eg. for 12 x 12 room bedroom.

2. solenoid

solenoid New Member

wiindow f x A x T x U = WATTS THEN DEDUCT FROM WALL f x A x T x U TO EQUAL WATASS, THEN DO ALL THE WALLS THEN ALL THE FLORES AND CEILINGS,ALSO TAKE IN MIND ANY GAINS FROM ROOMS THEN TIMES BY 1.15 TO GIVE EXTRA 15%. THEN YOU HAVE TO DO THE VENTILATION WHICH IS BASICALLY THE SAME BUT YOU HAVE TO ADD THE TEMP DIFFERENCE IN 1 HOUR INTO THE MIX WHICH WILL BE 1.5, THEN DIVIDE BY THE F1 FACTOR AND ADD THE TWO TOGETHER. OKAY M8 EASY M8

3. palatine

palatine New Member

Thanks sol,

Glad you cleared that up, but think I got lost somewhere between the "WATASS" and the "FLORES".

4. mantor

mantor New Member

I think he got lost somewhere between the 'one for the road' and the front door!

5. solenoid

solenoid New Member

just a quick message for a ****,ill leave you humble over a few spelling mistakes. retards!!

6. solenoid

solenoid New Member

and why is an english teacher changing a rad??!!

7. solenoid

solenoid New Member

12x12 is squared you arss you need cubed. 12x12x maybe 3 !!. why would you not change like for like english teacher??, or are you trying to be a PLUMBER!!!!.

8. meebabs

meebabs New Member

you call in a plumber/heating person. He will most likely have with him a calculator which has been made especially for this task. He will work out all the heat loss thru windows, walls and floors etc the he will tell you the size of rad required and how much you owe him. Simple eh?

9. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

10. mudhut

mudhut New Member

you could use a really complex and involved formula taking into account surface area, insulation values, ventilation rate, water temp, heat of adjacent rooms, solar gain etc etc etc. HOWEVER, to do this you would invariably be using so many guestimate figures that the final result would be rather less accurate than the formula used.

you could use an easier calculator like this http://www.wickes.co.uk/content/ebiz/wickes/resources/images/gil/49.pdf

or alternatively just put in a big one that fits nicely, like most plumbs would do. similar to electricians sizing cable - they are supposed to calculate all sorts of variables like length of wiring and insulation etc but generally never bother and just use 2.5mm2 for sockets, 1.5mm2 for lighting etc etc.

hope that helps mfw, and ignore the bigheads who just wanna put you down.

11. mudhut

mudhut New Member

you have too much time on your hands, cap`n, but very funny :)

12. solenoid

solenoid New Member

manunt,what a *UNT obviously a handy man or diyer that has no pride in a trade that has been ruined by a load of muppits.

13. imran_

imran_ New Member

Well said mudhut. Bang a slightly bigger one than your simple calcs say. As everyone knows, an oversized rad will lead to better fuel efficiency on a condensing boiler.

14. mfw

mfw New Member

stress or what!! thanks to all of you that gave me a straight forward answer. Its a sham there are some big head stresses out there (YOU KNOW WHO THEY ARE!) cheers anyway.

15. solenoid

solenoid New Member

okay mofow

16. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

'Mudhut' is a course cowboy & cares not a jot for our fine craft.........That radiator sizing from Wicks is a joke!! What a load of rubbish!!

17. mudhut

mudhut New Member

c`mon dickie son, how does a plumber calculate rads? he draws on years of experience as a time served, apprentice trained artisan with pride in his art. then puts in a big one that fits nicely.

you may well use the correct calcs dick, or you may just claim to, but in reality most convectors are sized with a moist digit poked in the air and a little over specifyng for good luck. the calcs suggested earlier in this thread took no account of boiler type, flow temp or piping sytem (eg all in series) and as someone pointed out (imran?) over sizing can be a good thing, lowering return temps and reaching stat/trv cut out point quicker. you can always tune the lockshields or turn the pump speed up if need be, but usually not necessary.

18. idontlikeit

idontlikeit New Member

nice 1 mudhead i like it

19. solenoid

solenoid New Member

the pont was supposed to be a quick one,the point was don't think you can put up a rad in a room by simply;12x12 squared.