Roof Pitch

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by MattChip, Jul 20, 2009.

1. MattChip

MattChip New Member

Hi all,

I have built a new timber framed 4"x4" garage at the bottom of my garden and have been a bit naive

Unfortunately the pitch of the roof is only around a foot over 5 metres (havn't measured exactly in degrees) and so my plan of tiling it won't work, even in slate

As the garage is (in my eyes) something very rustic and nice looking i am loathe just to felt it

Any suggestions as to what i could use instead other than a monstrous amount of furring peices?

And what would be the minimum pitch for the use of slate/shingles?

Thx in advance

2. bigjules

bigjules New Member

Not very big, is it - 4" x 4"............

Joking apart, you can cover the roof with what-ever you want - the low pitch 'only' means that you have no come-back with the manufacturer of the slates/tiles/shingles if there's a problem, (at your risk in other words), - unless building regs are involved - in which case, ask the BCO what he'd approve.

From memory, min pitch for natural slate is 22.5 degrees.

3. s.bury

s.bury Member

Roofing tiles are limited to 18 degrees for most domestic slates at a push, there are some godawful commercial coverings like in steel corrugated sheeting.

I have just redone one of my barns which had a 10 degree flat roof. I have refelted it and over lathed it then put red pantiles on top just for appearance. This allows for driving rain.

Hope this helps, steven

4. s.bury

s.bury Member

just a thought - you could do the roof in polycarbonate sheeting like a conservatory so nice and light without any worries on the slope angle.

5. MAERSK

MAERSK New Member

Quick question, I have to cover a gap that is 5 metres by 6 metres.The roof slopes across the 5 metre stretch. I have been told that I will need to buy polycarb in 6 metre lengths to span the distance with 500mm overhang each end. Is this correct? The only polycarb sheeting that I can find is about 6ft by 2ft. Is it possible to lay the sheets like tiles or slates eg. top overlapping the bottom to allow the rain to run off. Does anyone know of a better way to do it?

Any answers appreciated.

6. Doink

Doink New Member

Maersk,C&A building plastics have 16mm triple wall in 7m lengths

7. MAERSK

MAERSK New Member

thanks, do you have a telephone number and where are they based?

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

9. MAERSK

MAERSK New Member

Thanks chippie! :^O

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

11. MattChip

MattChip New Member

Sometimes a revised plan becomes the better

I am going to lay turf on the top - perhaps grass-seed it and as a neighbour suggested, some wild flower seeds in with it too

I may even be able to sunbathe on it

12. bigjules

bigjules New Member

If you're serious about a green roof, you'd be best to consider sedum rather than turf, as it's considerably lighter being hydroponic rather than soil based.

Info here:

http://sedumsupply.co.uk/

13. MAERSK

MAERSK New Member

Sorry, to go back to the polycarb sheeting in 7m lengths, is this the best way to do it?

14. ­

­ New Member

to do what?

15. wuddy

wuddy Member

do you drive a smart car???

16. betterthandead

betterthandead New Member

Hi,
    I've just had a problem unlike yours. But I couldn't use tiles, too much weight and god do I hate felt.. hate it!!!
    So I've used waney edge boards 12" wide 20mm thick tanalised... looks the pups nuts. I hadn't sheathed mine but would recommend it for a water tight finish.