Fein Multimaster or Supercut?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tomba26, Jul 24, 2009.

1. tomba26

tomba26 New Member

After getting cheesed off with scrounging my workmates multimaster I have decided to buy myself one and had a look at the Fein website. I see they still do the usual Multimaster but there is also a tool called the Supercut.....
    what are the differences between the Supercut and the Multimaster? Is it worth spending the extra on the Supercut?
    Cheers.

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

have you thought about the bosch 180e or the bosch blue lithium battery version version for about the same price as the fein mains kit

big all

3. tomba26

tomba26 New Member

I had thought of that al as I actually have the small Bosch 10.8 drill driver kit but I didn't think it would have the same guts as the mains powered Fein. I also get cheesed off with batteries going flat just when I sem to really need them LOL.
    I take it you have the Bosch?

4. murrmac

murrmac Member

The main difference as far as I can see is that the Multimaster has a 250 watt motor and the Supercut a 400 watt motor.

I don't think the Supercut can perform any operation that the Multimaster can't do, but it probably does it faster and obviously with more "muscle".

I would buy the Supercut, personally, if I had a need for an oscillating tool on a daily basis.

5. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

I'm on my second multimaster now.....an invaluable tool and worth every penny.

If I was to get another when this one kicks the bucket it would be the supercut. Sometimes when removing a hardwood cill or the like I could do with the extra grunt.

Other downside is blades cost a fortune. The bosch blades used to work on the multimaster, but not on the new model. They ain't stupid that's for sure....

6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

You will probably find the Multimaster fine for what you need. Don't bother with the cordless version, stick to mains, it has a huge lead too.

7. handymanforhire

handymanforhire New Member

Yes, the Supercut is more aggressive (larger orbit of the blade) and has more grunt (bigger motor) than the Multimaster; if you think you're going to doing heavier work I'd get the Supercut. I also have the blue Bosch 10.8v multitool, and whilst it's handy to have in the toolbox, it's no match for a mains-powered Multimaster.

Incidentally, I recently bought blades from www.multiblades.com - a small U.S. outfit that does a great range of blades for Multimaster and Supercut at a decent price; shipping to the UK is reasonable too. Some of the blades are unique to them (e.g. a straight grit-edge blade, great for grout removal) so well worth a look if you use a Fein.

Cheers, Pete

8. parana

parana New Member

These are excellent tools, whatever you choose will serve you well. I bought this set http://www.ukindustry.co.uk/boschpowertools/products.php?category=Multitools
    and have used it on every job since, however i have had some issue with the batteries, also it gets hot and cut out on me once when de-grouting a bathroom. cordless is useful but i am considering buying the Bosch corded to compliment it.

P

9. big all

big all Screwfix Select

tomba i have the battery version [multicut]i got it with the impact and driver as a combination each have there own case multicutter has a box the other 2 have nice little cloth cases i paid £252 for multicutter drill driver and impact driver 4 batts 2 chargers
    unfortunatly you are better to buy a multicutter with a full selection off blades as the 9 extra blades are around £90 varying from £6 up to £22
    i managed to get the 9 for £50 when i bought the torch for £22 on e bay

i havent used the mains version but doubt there will be to much difference in performance
    and with 4 batts and 2 charges batteries not a problem
    all the kit including the torch fit in the box although its not the box with the red handle it looks like a more normal bosch tool box

big all

10. big all

big all Screwfix Select

tomba i have the battery version [multicut]i got it with the impact and driver as a combination each have there own case multicutter has a box the other 2 have nice little cloth cases i paid £252 for multicutter drill driver and impact driver 4 batts 2 chargers
    unfortunatly you are better to buy a multicutter with a full selection off blades as the 9 extra blades are around £90 varying from £6 up to £22
    i managed to get the 9 for £50 when i bought the torch for £22 on e bay

i havent used the mains version but doubt there will be to much difference in performance
    and with 4 batts and 2 charges batteries not a problem
    all the kit including the torch fit in the box although its not the box with the red handle it looks like a more normal bosch tool box

big all

11. fitero

fitero New Member

I have a multimaster and if you do any laminate flooring you will never go without one again.Mine was dropped into a water tank[dont ask]so took it to the repairers,new brushes and speed controller and all was well except i dont think it had one before because now if you put any weight on it ,it almost stops.I am sure it wasnt like this before.So do you think its possible to retro fit something like this?.

12. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Excellent tools and blades available on ebay a good prices.

13. murrmac

murrmac Member