Hager vs Wylex

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by sidefall, Aug 19, 2009.

1. sidefall

sidefall Member

I've got a job coming up where I think a Hager CU may be a slightly better fit to a Wylex (NH) one.

I've tended to avoid Hager as I think they're a bit cheap and plasticy (if that's a word), so I'm 50/50 as to whether to use a Wylex on quality grounds.

What do people think? What's popular in CUs these days?

(An MK one won't be suitable, and I'm not aware of any other major brands of CU. Comments on obscure makes will not be appreciated).

2. Tooold

Tooold New Member

I have a faulty wylex RCD second in a month a faulty mcb at least 3 this year. So not a fan of wylex only use them when space limited. I have been using Hager for about 5 years and cant remember a faulty anything. They are a bit flimsy and top entry is a bit of a pain but 2x2 trunking sorts that. I dont allow to revisit jobs at my expense so will stick to hager. Hope that helps

3. sysparks

sysparks New Member

hager are much better, wylex gone totally downhill lately.

Found another new looking wylex RCD today with a faulty test button.

I bet their returns department is busy...

4. sidefall

sidefall Member

Thanks guys - interesting comments. Any thoughts on the relative quality of their RCBOs, and which make has more wiring space in the CU when RCBOs as fitted.

5. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Hager all day long.

As said the single phase DB's are a tadge plasticky, but their swithgear MCB's RCBO's etc and their 3 phase DB's are top notch.

Wylex Swylex!

6. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Flash Hagar (fur coat n no knickers)appeals to many on a superficial level. I've not had any problems with Wylex and have been using them for years now.

7. EH59 AMP

EH59 AMP New Member

i use both, prefer hager, but eddies stock a lot of wylex. have noticed wylex are identcal mcbs to crabtree, bit of a wrip.

8. M107

M107 New Member

crabtree, bit of a wrip.

Wylex & Crabtree are made by the same company (Electrium ?), they also do Volex & Marbo.

I've had a few(2) brand new Wylex RCD's fail recently & have in my van 4x wylex 6amp mcb's that latch in the on position but have no continuity & a 32amp that will not latch on....all brand new. My wholesaler has requested that the area rep from Wylex/Electrium visits & picks up the box of faulty rcd's/mcb's that they have had to swap out for customers.

9. M107

M107 New Member

why does only the last bit of a quoted post come out?

10. sidefall

sidefall Member

Appleby, Britmac, Crabtree, Marbo, Volex, and Wylex are all owned by Electrium - www.electrium.co.uk - and Electrium itself is owned by Siemens!

Legrand now owns a few companies includes Swifts and Tenby.

On the wholesalers side, Newey & Eyre, Denmans, Senate and WF, are all owned by Rexel.

And our hosts are owned by B&Q, which is owned by Kingfisher.

Going off topic, I do sometimes think that there are too many players in the market - do we really need the aggro of 20+ different makes of CU and DB, some of which have a tiny market share and all need their own breakers? Likewise I wonder how all the wholesalers manage to stay afloat. A couple of weeks ago I was working near an industrial estate which contained about 6 different electrical wholesalers (5 were large branches of regional or national chains) and I'm surprised there is enough business to pay the bills for all of them.

11. tomthespark

tomthespark New Member

Get hager, ive never had a problem with hager. Keep having wylex RCD's that weld themselves open, even when been tested once a week. The crabtree/wylex 3 phase boards are a big of **** to work with aswell. Square D and hager are the 2 best makes to go with Ireckon.

12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Flash Hagar (fur coat n no knickers)appeals to many on a superficial level. I've not had any problems with Wylex and have been using them for years now.

Concur LD..fitted loads of Wylex split loaders and have had no probs whatsoever.

However that was some while back..whats all this stuff about Wylex RCD's becoming unreliable nowadays? and does this infer a no trip scenario under fault condition?

13. tomthespark

tomthespark New Member

My wylex rcd wouldnt trip when testin at 5x30ma, so I wouldnt count on it tripping in fault conditions.
    Im gettin the twin RCD 10 way hager boards fully loaded for £80 now all in which id say is a fair price for a half decent bit of kit.

14. mr sillys

mr sillys New Member

well done lap dog but what level of install,1 unit a month or 50 or more units I think you are like ferm grip a trouble maker

cheers

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hmmmmm..the first time I departed from Wylex was on my own re-wire in my house..I fitted a Crabtree Starbreaker and the RCCB went malfunct within 6 months (tripping like heck with no fault)..however replaced the RCCB with a new unit (under guarantee and Screwfix honored this pronto) and to date it is as smooth as silk.

Horses for courses.

16. tomthespark

tomthespark New Member

what the hell is that supposed to mean, if your going to comment on someones post write in english d****d

17. tomthespark

tomthespark New Member

that wasnt aimed at you JP

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hey its ok Tom..know that M8..:)

19. mr sillys

mr sillys New Member

lap dog crabtree and wylex apart from the colours and spade connection are the same item

cheers

20. tomthespark

tomthespark New Member

and your point is......
    I already know this as i indicated it on one of my previous posts