Joist hangers into Aggregate inner skin

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Plumbcrazy, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Plumbcrazy

Plumbcrazy New Member

I'm building a two storey extension and need to match 1st floor level of extension to existing stone property.
    The new build is in standard aggregate block (Fibolite) and the position of the hangers ends up about 2" up from the mortar joint. I'm thinking that the easiest option is to lay the course of blocks and chalk a line across for all the hangers, then use a 9" grinder to create a slot for each hanger to slot into. Had the height worked out to be a brick course height above the mortar joint I could have just laid a brick course, but it's about 2".
    Thanks in advance guys

2. Big Jumbo

Big Jumbo New Member

You could think about using block pavers which can be had at just under 2" and laid as a course, or better, used in halves as individual padstones and the next row of blocks could have a tooth cut out to accomodate each padstone/hanger.

3. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

couldn't you put a timber up there and fix it with threaded bar and liquid anchor , dog collars and bolts.

4. Plumbcrazy

Plumbcrazy New Member

I could indeed and it is a method I was/am considering, but it would mean a bit more work when it comes to radiator tails fouling the timber... but probably no more work than slotting the blocks. I wonder if BC have a pref? Maybe I'll give them a call on Tuesday. Thanks for your replies

5. manassa

manassa New Member

I would sit the joists on pavers,but if you use a bolted on wallplate the radiator pipes will come up beyond it.

6. N. Green

N. Green New Member

Why can't you just knock the frog off a concrete brick?

7. Plumbcrazy

Plumbcrazy New Member

Thanks everyone. Of them all I favour either slotting for masonary hangers or bolting in place tibers and jiffy hanging the joists off that, which all-in-all is probably the easiest. I'll still run these two past BC on Tuesday just in case our inspector has any problem with one of them.

8. Plumbcrazy

Plumbcrazy New Member

Just to confirm that BC have replied to me saying that fixing the joists to a wall mounted timber is fine. They have said though that all fixings are to be M12, must go 90mm into the block (not hitting any motar joints) and on 300mm centres. Note that my joist spacing for my span is 400mm. So, as that's the easiest solution for me that's what it's going to be.
    Thanks for everyone's input :eek:)