Overflow dripping

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by diysurgeon, Aug 31, 2009.

1. diysurgeon

diysurgeon New Member

The overflow from the expansion tank keeps on dripping. I replaced the ballcock but it still does it. The vent from the hot water cylinder that is over the tank is dry, no water appears to become from there. It doesn't drip all the time seems intermittent. I noticed today that it seems to drip after the boiler has shut down. Any ideas.

Thanks in advance.

2. mad.max

mad.max New Member

Same old problem. Pinhole in cylinder coil.

3. diysurgeon

diysurgeon New Member

Had a suspicion that it might be a leaking coil. Looks like a new cylinder then.

Thanks for the fast reply.

4. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

when the system is cold how low is the level in the F&E tank ?? sometimes the level is too high so when the system is on the expanded water cant be accomadated, when you replaced the float valve did you do it like for like ?? a part 2 will give a higher level than a part 1 when cold

5. mad.max

mad.max New Member

Fairpoint, DAb. Don't rechange the valve, bend arm down and observe over next day or so. Cash still on pinhole, though! lol

6. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

good advice from D.A.B, don't go buying expensive bits before investigating the simple things properly, heat will expand the water in the cylinder and push it back into the cold storage, a new ball valve won't fix it unless you set the water level correctly.

7. diysurgeon

diysurgeon New Member

I checked this. I emptied water out of the tank so it was a good 2 inches below the overflow. I then adjusted the ballcock accordingly. No overflow drip for a day or so then it came back!

8. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

how to be certain,,,tie up the ballvalve and empty the tank with a jug, if the water rises again to the overflow, its the cylinder knackered,

9. diysurgeon

diysurgeon New Member

Thanks

Will give that ago tomorrow.

10. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

be sure to let us know what happens ;)

11. ThreadJacker

ThreadJacker Active Member

12. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

overflow, its the cylinder knackered,

good point tom , as you say tie up the valve to be certain

13. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

thread man your link dont work

14. britishblue

britishblue New Member

15. diysurgeon

diysurgeon New Member

Just a quick update - don't want to leave you hanging on a cliff edge! I have just emptied the expansion tank (not long home from work) and tied off the ballcock, so will check in a few hours if the water level has risen. Let you know the result tomorrow. But I think I know it will be a new cylinder.

Thanks for your help

16. diysurgeon

diysurgeon New Member

Looks like a new cylinder. After virtually emptying the expansion tank, it has filled up by a couple of inches.

Now searching for a new tank.

Thanks to all for your help.

17. mad.max

mad.max New Member

Good of you to offer feedback! Thanks, it rarely occurs.

18. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

yea you're welcome, glad to be of help, i'm in't pub friday teatime, see you there

19. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

Thanks to all for your help.

get round to your local scrap yard , plenty of good second hand cylinders get weighed in for buttons, worth a look if your on a budget, or wait a couple of weeks and i am taking one out and fitting an unvented shortly !! lol

20. diysurgeon

diysurgeon New Member

Thanks for the offer doing a bit. Unfortunately I ordered a new one from B.E.S before I read your post. Why didn't I think of the scrap yard idea!

Cheers