no earth bonding

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by oakesj, Sep 5, 2009.

1. oakesj

oakesj New Member

i have had a new boiler put in and have noticed there is no bonding to the mains water supply, can anyone tell me when bonding the water mains supply, does this have to be done at the water mains inlet (ie stop tap) or can it be done to the closest point to the earth bonding point (ie the boiler)?

2. syholl

syholl New Member

You have to have equipotential bonding within 600mm of where the water enters the building. This is usually immediately after the stopcock. Also, the same for the gas supply. It is a good idea to carry out supplementary bonding at the boiler, but this is not a replacement for one at the stopcock.
    Sy

3. plastic bertrand

plastic bertrand Active Member

Who fitted the boiler?

4. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

You have to have equipotential bonding within 600mm of where the water enters the building.
    ---------------------------
    Or as near as practicable don't forget, syholl!

5. X

X New Member

Or replace it with plastic.

6. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Who fitted the boiler?

That's a good question, Plastique (nice to see your ugly mug here again, by the way)......

If that boiler had been installed by a registered gas fitter, he would have been obliged to verify that the main bonding (if reguired) was in place, as part of his job according to the Gas Safe (CORGI) 'rules'......

Lucia.

7. syholl

syholl New Member

I've yet to see a plumber who gives a monkey's about whether the gas bond is in place, and they have all been Corgi registered....!!!

Anyway, the OP was asking about the water....

Sy

8. plastic bertrand

plastic bertrand Active Member

Lucia.

You are very lucky that blue took the milky way sunbeam or there'd be trouble, pfffttt.

9. 999

999 New Member

ah bless

x