conservatory regs

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by mr2 flyer, Oct 1, 2009.

1. mr2 flyer

mr2 flyer New Member

I have an extension on the rear of my house which is 3m long. my neighbour is fitting a conservatory to the rear of their house. can I ask what is the minimum distance permitted between their conservatory wall and the boundary line, also are they allowed to use the wall of my extension for the main wall of the conservatory.

many thanks

flyer

2. freddy198

freddy198 Member

Use your wall? leave it out!!

3. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

So, it seems that your existing extension wall has been built right up to the boundary - but you want to deny your neighbour to build his conservatory in a like manner?

Lucia.

4. Big Jumbo

Big Jumbo New Member

As Lucia has intimated, you built to boundary and so can they. It is not a first come first served situation.

They should not fix to your extention without your permission but a decent neighbour might offer the option. If you are concerned about future access to this wall it should have been considered before it was placed on boundary.

This assuming that you have built to boundary.

5. mr2 flyer

mr2 flyer New Member

Did I mention denying my neighbour anything, or did I just pose the question of if i could expect my extention wall to be used as a supporting wall for a conservatory.

What is the point of trying to get involved in a forum if people interpret the question in a different way than that intended.

6. Macbeth

Macbeth New Member

Oooh, tetchy answer. Not good :(

7. Big Jumbo

Big Jumbo New Member

What is the point of trying to get involved in a forum if people interpret the question in a different way than that intended.
    You could try the Phycic forum or
    try this
    There is no minimum distance, right up his the boundary.
    It is then up to him if he wants to put and end on his conservatory.

a

8. Big Jumbo

Big Jumbo New Member

that is an end

9. Macbeth

Macbeth New Member

mr2 'flyer', I understand it's as simple as this: if your extension was built on your side of the boundary line (presuming you know where this is exactly) then he can do ditto on his side. He does, of course, need to take care that he doesn't cause damage to your foundations, etc. He cannot, afaIk, attach anything to your wall 'cos it's yours and it's on your land. In theory he isn't even allowed to grow plants up it...

If, however, your extension wall was built on - ie: straddling - the boundary line, then it is shared, effectively a 'party' wall. Your neighb can then use it pretty much as you are using your 'side' of it. However, in this instance, you can 'invoke' the Part Wall Act and insist he employs a surveyor to represent your interests and ensure that the plans and work carried out don't cause any damage.

Since I'd imagine that your extension was built entirely on your land, then it looks as tho' your neighb can also do as he likes - right up to the border line (subject, I guess, to max heights, area, etc). In which case (once you confirm this is the case) I'd see how the two of you can sort out any teeny gap that could end up existing between the two so's you don't end up with water running down there, etc.

I suspect the onus is largely on him, tho', to ensure no potential future damage is caused to your extension.

You can take some, all or none of the above with salt.

10. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

"What is the point of trying to get involved in a forum if people interpret the question in a different way than that intended."

The point is one of reciprocation, mutual help and entertainment and understanding. You don't sign up as a 1 post wonder and get all snotty because of the random nature of the internet and the people and opinions that you will naturally receive. You could always PAY for advice, then perhaps you'll get the service you obviously demand.

11. DewaltÆ User

DewaltÆ User New Member

he might have a problem opening and may be cleaning his windows if he builds it up against your wall, he may even ask you if he can knock your wall down so he can clean his windows

12. Mr GrimNasty

You see, with a little patience, you start to get sensible answers.

13. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Oh! The pleasure

14. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

....of living cheek by jowl.

Once you have a snug tight neighbour abutting your living space, it allows you to turn your thermostat down a few degrees and borrow his heat.

Unless you happen to be a dog in a manger......

Lucia.

15. ­

­ New Member

If you lived in a huge great mansion like what I do, you wouldn't have to worry about smelly neighbours. It's all your own fault for living in an ex-council hovel.

Facterumble.

16. trench

trench New Member

mr2flyer (if you are still here) posting on a public forum means you will get all sorts of advice from people with a wide range of experience. Some will be good, some will be bad and some (as has been mentioned) will be wind ups.

My experience on here is that people with genuine worries or queries get a good response and the forum is self regulating up to a point in that if a ridiculous answer is posted, the author will normally be shouted down by everyone else.

hope you get sorted out.

if your query was misunderstood, then repost it, or clarify whaterver point has been lost in translation. Having a hissy fit won't encourage people to respond
    in a helpful manner.

For what its worth your neighbor cannot do anything to your wall without your permission and if he has had to apply for planning permission you will be consulted by the local authority and given a chance to lodge any objections. Your local planning department will advise on general issues, give them a ring?

My main concern would be that next door does not undermine your founds and that on completion they have not left an unserviceable gap between the two properties that will trap rubbish and moisture.

17. trench

trench New Member

sorry "hope you get sorted out" was supposed to be at the end.

18. Mr GrimNasty

As previously stated - if the wall is on or adjacent the boundary the PWA can be invoked and your permission is NOT required to attach.

19. trench

trench New Member

Surely just because your wall is on the boundary doesn't give next door carte blanche to use it?
    If its a party wall (i.e. shared) don't both parties need to be in agreement to any alterations?

20. geraldthehamster

geraldthehamster New Member

The Party Wall Act exists to enable you to do work that involves party walls. It prescribes the means to give legal notice. It doesn't enable the neighbours to prevent the works but in case of disagreement it provides for the appointment of a "party wall surveyor" (who doesn't have to be a surveyor) to arbitrate on how the work should be done, and empty your wallet (DAMHIK).

That said, if the wall is entirely on your property, on your side of the boundary, then it's not a party wall as I understand it. The neighbour has no right to attach to it, and if he wants to put footings for his wall next to it, he's required to serve you a PW notice, as it affects your foundations.

Cheers
    Richard