mums kitchen

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by zipdip, Oct 2, 2009.

1. zipdip

zipdip Member

Hi my mum has ordered a new kitchen off the shelf,I need help with the correct way to move a 40amp dp sw ,you know the one with the big red switch half way up the wall,about 10 years ago on a house I owned I sunk the box in the wall abit connected new cable and channelled it down the wall to a raised 40amp box and ran the cooker from there,I want to keep the cost down for her as she will need a sparks as she will need a comsumer unit as there is a fuse box in the downstairs loo she can get a pir then,the house is only 25 years old thought consumer boxs were in by then.

2. dumbass

dumbass Member

hi zipdip

i goes as follows

take floor up above kitchen,find cooker cable,extend using a 60amp junction box,chase wall in kitchen,in new position chop out cooker iso box,chop and chase to cooker connection unit,install cable,get 'spark' to check your first fix work,plaster up,install cooker switch and ccu,create access panel above jb(for future inspection) when screwing floorboard down,spark will test you circuit when changing consumer unit.

the bit about the access panel can be avoided if u can create a maintenance free join in the cable by crimping or soldering the cable.(please dont use ur Halford crimping tool whilst doin this.......)

gud init.....GREEN ARMY !

dUMb'

3. hirsute

hirsute New Member

Hi zipdip, As the work is in the kitchen(special location), the work is notifiable to building control unless you get the work carried out by a registered competent person.

My advice is to first get a periodic inspection report carried out on the property, if the recommended date for the next inspection has expired, which it probably has.

The PIR will give you a report on the condition of the electrical installation and will state what is required if anything to bring the property up to current standards. You can then get a few quotes from different contractors.
    Don`t cut corners mate. Whats more important to you. Your mothers health or wealth

4. zipdip

zipdip Member

Hi I think getting the place checked out may be the best course,she has to have a consumer unit,the room over the kitchen is a spare bedroom so no bother getting the blockboard up (famous last words) to find the cooker cable that will keep the cost down abit she also wants 6 mains spotlights instead of the one light in the kitchen that should be okay and while the floor is up in the bedroom should be quiet easy to install,thanks for the replies

5. dumbass

dumbass Member

no probs

dont forget the fire hoods on those dl's....

dUMb'

6. Maurice Gogg

Maurice Gogg New Member

Just do it on the cheap. Remember it's your inheritence she's spending.

7. lightning bolt

lightning bolt New Member

mums kitchen
    Posted: Oct 2, 2009 9:28 AM Reply

Hi my mum has ordered a new kitchen off the shelf,I need help with the correct way to move a 40amp dp sw ,you know the one with the big red switch half way up the wall,about 10 years ago on a house I owned I sunk the box in the wall abit connected new cable and channelled it down the wall to a raised 40amp box and ran the cooker from there,I want to keep the cost down for her as she will need a sparks as she will need a comsumer unit as there is a fuse box in the downstairs loo she can get a pir then,the house is only 25 years old thought consumer boxs were in by then.

PART P,why do we bother

8. DewaltÆ User

DewaltÆ User New Member

What happened to Part A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N & O ?

9. lamps

lamps New Member

black and decker just read a couple of your posts and they are helpfull as your diy brand of tools.
    have you heard the saying if you have nothing of use to say then say nothing

10. ClÃŒfford T Brown

ClÃŒfford T Brown New Member

[Edited by: admin]

11. Maurice Gogg

Maurice Gogg New Member

I fear you have come to the right place.

12. mbat666

mbat666 New Member

alternatively instead of messin about getting upstairs floor up just chase cooker cable upto above top of cabinet height (usually around 2120mm) and then put a junction box on and extend from there. once cupboards are installed just screw jb to top of cupboard. joint is always accessible if needed in future