Replacing coldwater tank

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by allanpeter, Oct 4, 2009.

1. allanpeter

allanpeter New Member

I'm replacing a leaking galvanised loft tank (80 gallons) with a plastic one. What size do I REALLY need. 2 people (maximum 4), one bath, 1 power shower.

2. Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon New Member

100 Gallon if cant fit get two and connect together.

3. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

The nearest size you can get to your existing tank will be just fine. Remember to consider position, weight and loft access before you purchase a new tank.

4. allanpeter

allanpeter New Member

Thanks for the advice, guys. I was hoping someone was going to say that 50 gallons would be OK (because of the space available without my having to actually remove the old tank), but I'll put a 42 in first, 'cut up and cart' the old tank, and this will make room for a second 42 at a respectable distance to allow adequate support.

5. rome60

rome60 New Member

Info required what is the tank supplying.

6. DewaltÆ User

DewaltÆ User New Member

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr its supplying cold water ;)

7. tackleburger

tackleburger New Member

Maybe not numb nuts seen plenty cold mains everywhere in a house and hot fed from the cwt.

If the OP has a one bathroom property 42 will be fine.

8. allanpeter

allanpeter New Member

Cold water tank is supplying:

- one bath, one hand basin and one w.c. all upstairs
    - one Potterton Profile 80EI boiler (80 kBTU/hr)
    - one Salamander RSP75 max 20l/min power shower twin pump

9. paaulyb

paaulyb New Member

50 gal will be fine

10. allanpeter

allanpeter New Member

Thanks again guys. I'll go for the 50 and see how it goes. I'm really impressed with all the 'instant responses' - a great support.

11. Thats not my name

Thats not my name New Member

As stated 1 bathroom with pump equals 50 gallons, make sure its a separate feed to the pump.

12. TJST

TJST New Member

You say you have a power shower which will be fed from this tank. Be mindful that at full tilt that could be using 18ltr of water per min (4 gal) so if you fit a small tank it will empty it pretty quickly excepting that some of the supply will be coming from your hot store. I always fit a min of 100 gal or connect two together.

13. allanpeter

allanpeter New Member

Thanks again, guys. 50 gallon tank fitted and works fine. Speedfix pipe/fittings used (and - yes - I have put collets in the pipe ends) and no leaks - yet.

14. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

you would have been better putting in pipe inserts in instead of collets !!!!!!!!