advice please

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Thats not my name, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Thats not my name

Thats not my name New Member

Hi my van is in for some work for a couple of days, so i thought i would make a start on the hall, landing and stairs, as well as the kitchen.
    I have not done much decorating before so please treat me like an idiot.
    The hall, landing and stairs have lining paper on them which has been done really badly, so im stripping it all off.I dont intend to put lining paper back up, so can you tell me how to get the best finish, obviously fill any cracks in etc but what 1st coat etc.

2. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

now i would have thought that you would make money by hiring a van for a couple of days and hiring the services of a p&d to do that particular job.

to take your van out of commission and lose income seems a little strange to me, particularly if you are a pro.

your not a plumber by any chance are you ? ;)

3. Goldenduck

Goldenduck New Member

Strip. Wash walls with sugar soap and water to get rid of old paste (very important). Dig out cracks. Fill. Sand. 1 coat of watered-down contract matt emulsion followed by two normal coats of emulsion of your choice.

The trouble is that the walls might be in a rubbish state which is probably why they were lined in the first place. But you might be lucky.

4. Thats not my name

Thanks Ponty01 for your reply but no thanks.
    I asked for some advice not a lecture on how to run my business, if you really must know, i am actually doing my books for 08/09, something i hate so i thought a little bit of light relief in the form of stripping would be good, is that ok for you.
    Am i a plumber?!. You must be hard up for work if your worried about me doing a little decorating.
    I have some advice for you, get off your backside, no response necessary.

5. Thats not my name

Thanks Golenduck for the advice.

As i said treat me like an idiot(when it comes to decorating) i always got steve the painter in but as i have said really un-happy with the lining paper he did last time. I dont think the walls are to bad but the Mrs disagrees.

Do you have to give the walls a quick wipe after the sugar soap, i bought some Dulux white matt £15 for 10L this morning for the kitchen should i use this watered down for my 1st coat upstairs or there was some cheaper Dulux white matt £10 for 10L could i use this, How come they have cheaper stuff by the same company.

6. romanian)guy

romanian)guy New Member

thats not my name you are not idiot but ponty o1 is one of them lol

7. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

thanks for confirming you are a plumber 'that not me name'. i thought you were, it must be my analytical skills working behind the scenes, it was so easy!! LOL :^O

like roamingypsey says, the forum is full of idiots including us and him, but you will know that all ready ;)

8. romanian)guy

romanian)guy New Member

ponty01 get ur brush and go paint some doors,thats all u know.I dont understand people who know only 1 trade -painting(this must be boring.

9. idontlikeit

idontlikeit New Member

HEHE u lot wors than the sparx hehe i like it

10. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

sparks are fine. but i just try to pull the village nutters from under their stones. it work well very on here. they come everywehere from.

it was so easy peasy

lol :)

we have little saying in my homeland:

h, l & s LOVL LOVL :^O :^O :^O

11. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

i want to buy wooden pegs, yes, romangypsey may help out me :^O

12. Thats not my name

Well looks like im having to get the plasterer in to give the walls on the hall and landing and stairs a skim, there not good enough, wish i never started, thanks for the advice from 1 bloke the rest on this thread are nutters.

13. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Tnmn, Just a thought. But it may be cheaper to get a Dec in to re-line, even cheaper if you did any prep work yourself, like I said. Just a thought.

Potty.

14. Thats not my name

I think you could be right potty, i can do all the prep work, just was not happy with the lining last time (it was peeling off by switches etc) but the painter has done loads of work for us, maybe he just had a bad day, we all do.
    Should you be able to see the lines once painted.

15. Hi TNMN,

No you should not be able to see any joins in the lining.

Have you got your walls skimmed yet ? depending on the state of the walls have you considered face filling areas that have a bad texture / finish ? essentially this is skimming the wall with filler - creates a lot of dust when you rub down, but means no need to pay a spread to come in. Either that or get a thinned out emulsion on the walls, and spot fill where required.

A good tip is to add some water based stainer / emaulsion to the filler (just a bit mind !) this will make the spots of filler on the wall stand out against the white walls.

16. If filling make sure you do not have raised lumps where the plaster has blown - only a proper skim will get rid of these. If there are only a couple you can knock them back with a hammer and fill over or for a proper job take the blown bits out completely.

If the walls are bad I would fill first and sand. Then mist coat. Then fill again and sand again. Go through the work twice at each filling and sanding stage. Polyfiller interior is easy to sand.

17. smudgerslass

smudgerslass New Member

I would strip it and then get a mist coat on quickly, then make a decision. Looks a whole lot different then.

What worries me is you said you only had a couple of days - for kitchen stairs and hall and more?

I save my tax return for xmas :)

18. romanian)guy

romanian)guy New Member

i love suck big cock