Sanding aluminium

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by murrmac, Oct 5, 2009.

1. murrmac

murrmac Member

not really a carpentry question per se, but I figure someone on here would be more likely to know than on any of the other forums.

I have some aluminium components which I will be sanding with an orbital sander, going all the way down to 400 grit.

I want the slightly frosted look I don't want them polished.

problem is that when aluminium is sanded like this it shows up every fingerprint, so what I want to know is , does anybody know of a suitable oil-type finish which I could apply to protect the metal from being marked by fingerprints ?

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Cellulose clear lacquer(car spray paint).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. Andy has it.

Once you've finished sanding degrease the surface with a volatile solvent, something like cellulose thinners or acetone. Don't use white spirit it's slightly oily and can leave a residue behind.

Build the laquer up slowly, 2 or 3 light coats should be enough.

A word of watning, be very careful sanding aluminium - the "dust" can be explosive. It's used in fireworks.

4. murrmac

murrmac Member

thanks for replies, I will do as suggested and spray on clear cellulose.

I will also try to complete the job well before Nov 5th, just in case ...

5. DewaltÆ User

DewaltÆ User New Member

we used to use baby oil on stainless steel, I dont see any reason you cant use it on Ally,

6. Baby oil is great for cleaning SS and ali.

The lacquer should prevent the marks in the first place or leave a finish that can be wiped clean with a damp cloth.