Main waste drains on a driveway.......???

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by CosRush, Oct 12, 2009.

1. CosRush

CosRush New Member

I have only a short driveway but have 5 drain covers with access points (bricked).

Unfortunately, the waste drain on my driveway is shared with my neighbours which probably explains why we have so many.

I am in the process of redoing my entire drive way, digging up the now old cracked and scummy looking concrete intending to replace the whole driveway with gravel instead.

My question is, would it be a good idea (if its possible) to digg up the current waste pipes and access points and connect more that one to each point, so as to have less manhole covers in total?

Could these bricked and old ceramic style pipes be replaced with the modern plastic type ones? and if so, what about the access points? They would need to be strong enough for a car to drive over them.

Put simply, I hate having 5 drain covers on my little driveway, and all 5 covers need to be replaced.

Any comments on the job???

2. Very expensive job to rework that lot, might not even be possible.

How about fitting drain covers that are designed to take block pavers, but filling them with gravel instead.

Only problem will be the gravel shotgun load that will go off every time you drive over a cover.

You could always take the gravel out of the block paver covers and use block pavers:)

3. CosRush

CosRush New Member

Thanks for the reply.

So really i'll have to live with the amount of covers, just buy some sturdy ones to replace whats already there, and then just gravel straight over the top.

4. Be careful, gravel on top of steel and tyres, a lot of flinging about.