UPVC Hinges

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by AstonVillan, Oct 19, 2009.

1. AstonVillan

AstonVillan New Member

Hi guys I bought some new hinges, as my old ones are buggered, for my Upvc double glazed window. However when trying to replace them I discovered that the holes for the screws weren't in the same places (I presumed they were all standard), so my question is do I:

(a)Drill new pilot holes into the hinges so they match the ones on the frame.

(b)Try drilling holes into the frame so they match the holes in hinges.

(c)Buy new hinges where the holes are aligned already.

(d)Screw it! and freeze for the winter.

2. Doink

Doink New Member

Take out all screws holding the hinges to the frame,top and bottom hinges and lift the sash out of the frame with the hinges still fixed to it.

Get correct hinge for top or bottom and open them up and offer it up to the exsisting hinge still fixed to the sash,Notice now that there is a point on the end of the hinge which over hangs the sash,this fits into a plastic or metal cup on the hinge when you close it,ensure that you fit the new hinge with the same overhang

If the holes then dont line up on the sash then just make new ones,dont pre drill just screw them in with your drill but be carefull not to over tighten and strip the thread in the pvc,once you have done both lift the sash into the frame with both hinges open fully,push them into the corners and re fit screws,again if they dont line up just make new fixings.

If all being well the window should close without touching the frame,it is crucial that you fit the hinges to the sash in the right place (with the same amount of that point overhanging the pvc) if not the sash will foul the frame as you shut it

3. AstonVillan

AstonVillan New Member

Thanks for your methodical and detailed reply Doink, some useful hints there.

However I apologies I didn't make my self clear. The problem is that the holes in the hinges don't align with the existing holes on the frame.

4. Doink

Doink New Member

Ok just put screws in a different place then,as the new hinge dictates

5. AstonVillan

AstonVillan New Member

Appreciate your time Doink but the problem is I've tried screwing into the frame but its impossible. Then I thought about drilling pilot holes into the frame, with a metal drill bit, but that was almost impossible and not worth the effort so I gave up and put my old hinges back up.

6. Doink

Doink New Member

Are you saying you cant drill a hole in pvc with a metal bit? Are you sure the drill is going the right way round?

Self taping screws and a cordless should be enough to put them in,even if the frame is steel reinforced it still shouldnt be a problem with self drilling screws

Im at a loss,sorry

7. WackySpike

WackySpike Member

The frame is steel reinforced. It is a relatively old window, maybe my metal drill bit is just knackered. If no look then just I'm just gonna look for an alternate hinge.

Thanks for your time mate I'm gonna have a go with the self drilling screws as you suggested and see what happens.

8. AstonVillan

AstonVillan New Member

The frame is steel reinforced. It is a relatively old window, maybe my metal drill bit is just knackered. If no look then just I'm just gonna look for an alternate hinge.

Thanks for your time mate I'm gonna have a go with the self drilling screws as you suggested and see what happens.

9. WackySpike

WackySpike Member

oops me bad, don't know what I did there? Is there anyway I can delete posts on this forum?

10. Big Jumbo

Big Jumbo New Member

Regretably it's a cheap system and doesn't allow deletion.