Replacement Living Room Thermostat Recommendation Needed

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by slapmatt, Oct 20, 2009.

1. slapmatt

slapmatt New Member

I have a Potterton Prima F boiler and the original Potterton PRT100 dial thermostat in our living room. The thermostat is basically up the swanny and you need to turn it right up to 27 or 28 degrees to make the heating come on. I hate to think how much it is costing me in gas bills!

So, I've decided to buy a new thermostat and would like a recommendation from people wiser than me!

My number one criteria is it must be easy for a cack-handed idiot (that's me) to fit.

My budget is up to £50.

I also have a timer (very old and ropey) next in the airing cupboard. Ideally I'd like a thermostat with a timer control, so that I don't have to worry about using the old one.

Any recommendations would be gratefully received.

2. lamps

lamps New Member

keep it simple replace like for like

3. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Owt by Honeywell will be fine.

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Concur Sine..Honeywell is the best.

5. slapmatt

slapmatt New Member

6. Macbeth

Macbeth New Member

Hi slapmatt.

I think you were on the right lines in your first post - go for a programmable room 'stat that'll replace both the stat and the timing clock. (Although, if your boiler needs the timer for controlling the hot water - if it ISN'T a 'combi' boiler - then you'll still need a timer for the DHW part.)

Assuming you just want control over the central heating, you won't do better than the Heatmiser PRT. Amazon sells this for £45, and it's beaut.

You'll have to sink a single back box into your wall where the room stat is, but that's a small price to pay. Being mains powered, you don't need to swap batteries every year or so, it has a large easy to see & use display, a lovely backlight, and will control your temps and times on a daily basis.

Your timer in the airing cupboard will then need to have the CH part set to 'ON 24hrs', or else bypassed electrically. You may wish to rip out the old timer and just fit a small electronic timer for the DHW in there.

You'd be nuts not to consider the Heatmiser.

The ONLY thing I don't like about it is that I didn't know about it before I bought my nasty battery-operated Hortsmann and Danfoss...

One for SF to stock?

7. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Agree Macbeth the Heatmiser is a nice stat too.

The only gripe I'd have is that it requires a 35mm back box which 99% of existing instals will not have.

Further the designers have ferked up because (as they say themselves) it doesn't sit well in a surface box so will look a bit 'unsightly' to use their words.

Having said all that if you can make it fit then go for the Touchscreen model at £54!

Bargain!

8. Macbeth

Macbeth New Member

OooooooooOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo. Oooooh. Ooooooh.

(I've just made a mess on the keyboard. :()