Self closing hinges.. do they fully close doors?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Dystran, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Dystran

Dystran New Member

2. lamps

lamps New Member

pergo is your answer

3. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

what type of property is it? i thought they are no longer needed on domestic properties?

4. wuddy

wuddy Member

yes they do if the door fits well and the room isnt too small, but im sure you dont have to use door closers anymore
    we have not used closers on big developments for a couple of years due to the risk of children loosing fingers
    the only type still used are the yale type slow closers in corridors etc

5. chip off the block

As of 6th April 2007, it is no longer a building regulations requirement that a self closing device, such as a perco or spring hinges, be fitted to internal fire doors in dwellings. It has become the responsibility of the occupants to ensure that fire doors are closed at night. Closing devices are still required on flat entrance doors and garage doors leading into a dwelling. However, these closers now have to comply with BSEN 1154, which currently means they need to be overhead door closers.

6. Dystran

Dystran New Member

Now i'm confused. This is an HMO by the way (house in multiple occupancy) where 4 rooms are rented and the bathrooms,kicthen living room are shared.

All guides say they needed, but now i'm not sure the correlation between HMO and building regulations

7. chip off the block

in that case you need them and the hinges will not be sufficent i think. Ask you local concil

8. Dystran

Dystran New Member

Okay, I checked. I can essentially use anything BUT I must "ensure that they will fully close the door without any assistance"

What do you think? Do they? Thanks so much everyone

9. fitero

fitero New Member

We were fitting new doors in a hotel extension but could not get the perco's to make the door close fully,when the site agent came to check,before he tried the door he opened the top vent in the in the window and the door closed perfectly.Dont know what happened on the final snag but we were long gone by then.

10. chip off the block

to meet regs the should close if you let go of the door when the latch is touching the strike plate but that rarely happens

11. Owainy

Owainy New Member

We need some of the hinges to stop an inside door from slaming onto children's fingers! (bad experience this week.) I don't want the big ugly external closer. We thought this would be the answer. It is a light internal door with 3 hinges. Wuddy, would you recommmend 2 or 3 hinges to replace the old?

12. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

This is the wrong product for what you want, all they do is help to swing the door closed.

13. Owainy

Owainy New Member

Ahh, not closed in a controlled manner then, just swings shut.
    You're right it's not what we want.

Cheers for input Chippy John.