Best adhesive for coving

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by PHILPH, Oct 22, 2009.

1. PHILPH

PHILPH Member

Hi,

Could I please have your opinions for the best adhesive for coving, the plaster type.

I was thinking of Gripfill?, would this be O.K.

Would I also need to either pin or nail it in position until it sets?

Any other fixing tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

Best adhesive for coving
    Posted: Oct 22, 2009 8:44 PM Reply

Hi,

Could I please have your opinions for the best adhesive for coving, the plaster type.
    I was thinking of Gripfill?, would this be O.K.

Would I also need to either pin or nail it in position until it sets?

Any other fixing tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

that will be gyproc cove adhesive your after!

3. Fix a few nails along the wall down from the ceiling, the size down will depend on the size of the coving, use a few nails on the ceiling also, leave until the adhesive is set.

Wipe off excess adhesive, keep the coving clean.

You can print off gyproc templates here.

4. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

I do miles and miles of coving and the best adshesive is dryline adhesive. £5 for a big bag .Go and buy a coving mitre and you shouldn't need any nails also.

5. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

iv found if you use enough addy then nails are not needed as the suction form the addy holds the coveing up! :)

6. rp12345

rp12345 New Member

Gripfill will cost you a small fortune!

As has been said, gyproc cove adhesive is the way to go. Mix it slump free and apply generously - you can always wipe of excess and it helps fill the gaps.

I use a thing called a wondermitre which helps cut the mitres - better than a box I find.

Finally - if your corners don't seem to fit too well - don't worry too much, you can make good with the adhesive, let it go off for 10 minutes then smooth out to make a decent join. First time I did it I thought it would look ****, but once dry was fine.

7. rp12345

rp12345 New Member

Forgot to say, I wouldn't worry about nailing / pinning - hold it in place for a minute and should be fine. Helps to have a assistant on long runs and also if the wall / ceiling isn't matt give it a few scrapes to rough it up a bit.