trickle vents

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by clueless jon, Oct 24, 2009.

1. clueless jon

clueless jon New Member

hello. can anyone tell me if i need a trickle vent on a bathroom window? or can you do without as the bathroom will have an extractor anyway? (its for a new extension) thanks a lot, jon

2. bigjules

bigjules New Member

Trickle vent not necessary under current regs as not a 'habitable room'.

3. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

4. imran_

imran_ New Member

Forget trickle vent - you need to look under Regs Part F( I think) for ventilation. For bathroom is v important to stop condensation.

A trickle vent will have no consideration IMHO.

5. Mr GrimNasty

I posted part F link - of course trickle vents may be of consideration.

The quality of advice on here is atrocious.

6. imran_

imran_ New Member

Eh?? A trickle vent is a means to provide minimal ventilation when no other exists.... He's installing an extractor fan!!

A fully open trickle vent might let AT MOST 10-20m3/hr through, whereas a decent extractor is around 10x that. So even WITH a trickle vent he needs some other way of letting fresh air into the bathroom. Similarly almost all extractors will naturally allow air to pass them when off so again a trickle vent is of no use whatsoever and would allow excessive heat loss from the bathroom.

But then if you'd read Part F and understood it you'd know all that......

7. Just to throw in another thought.

Bathroom door is closed, fan is running, is there sufficient air available to provide adequate ventilation.

Would a trickle vent aid ventilation by providing an air source?

Main part is to ensure that the fan runs on after the light is switched off. It ideally needs 20 mins - I think that's the recommended minimum.

Otherwise too much moisture is left in the air and mould WILL grow in corners and on those nice clean silicon seals.

Another tip is to use a squeegee to remove water from the tiles and shower screen.

8. Mr GrimNasty

Yes I didn't notice the mention of an extractor - big deal. Hence why I said may be required not definitely as I was in my mind unsure what his installation included.

REGARDLESS - there are ventilation requirements (despite it not being a habitable room), I had posted with the part F link with all the relevant info. anyway.

As I said, repetition and bad advice!

9. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

reed wot woz writ

(although with an extractor you still need a means to replace the displaced air for efficient operation)

IWS: Information With a Smile :)

10. imran_

imran_ New Member

A 10mm air gap under the door is usually advised and should be sufficient. As I will say again, since Mr GN still seems to think his advice good, if you had both an extractor AND trickle vent fitted then the passive ventilation would contribute to excessive heat loss.

A humidistat can be used instead of a timer so it auto switches off AND doesn't switch on when you go to the loo in the middle of the night.

11. inkpad

inkpad New Member

A humidistat ain't alot of help when you've stank the place out with a monster king richard

12. Doink

Doink New Member

Depends if its steaming or not :)

13. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

if its steaming, the stat will operate the fan

IWS: Information With a Smile :)

14. Mr GrimNasty

Imran - you're just being stupid now.
    Read what I said again - I never suggested both, although you have very neatly contradicted yourself!
    Berk.

15. imran_

imran_ New Member

Fans with humidistats are also manually operable for exactly such "life giving air" situations. The fact is that many people with extractors with over-run timers switch them off at the isolator for being noisy in the middle of the night, or interrupting a nice sleep in the bath.

I've never contradicted myself, just some people can't read properly ;)