Kitchen and bathroom paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Mr GrimNasty, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

Wickes Master as above satin finish.

I've never had any problem with getting a decent finish with any paint but this is doing my head in.

I've tried every type of roller and brush but the same happens every time - as soon as you try to feather in it just pulls off - it doesn't matter how thick/thin you apply or how quick you work. Cut in, try to fill rest, just pulls off where overlaps.

The best I can do is cut in, let dry. And paint in separate bands, let dry and then fill in the gaps.

This takes ages - any tips?

BTW Was over plasterboard/sealer, now just over itself - still **.

2. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Mr H.

I would at this time recommend that you hold back on the use of this paint. To be honest I would not advise anyone to purchase paints from diy outlets, often made by well established firms they will in my opinion be of inferior quality. All paints will have a shelf life, they also are stored in in huge warehouses for long periods of time subject to differing climate changes. All of which can have an adverse effect on the product, the chances of a reaction with regard to the paint and the primer sealer are rare in the extreme.

Potty.

3. Mr GrimNasty

Well it's nice to possibly blame the paint rather than me! Anyway I won't use it again, only a small ceiling thankfully, done it in patches without brushing into wet and let room heater dry before filling in. Looks OK at the moment (only about 5 coats LOL), just wait and see what a few different lighting condition show up. Probably look like my granny's quilt tomorrow.

4. ~

~ New Member

glub

5. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

From your description it sounds like the porosity of the surface was not sufficiently lowered and made even to a satisfactory level before applying your Wickes branded product.

In addition, if this product was an emulsion paint it may well have benefited from the addition of a conditioner, such as Floetrol, in order to ****** the drying.

6. Does it do the same on subsequent coats ?

Agree - to me it sounds like a porosity problem - Id try a thinned out coat first to see if it has the same problem.

7. Bod1

Bod1 Member

crown clean extreme has a similar tendency on the first coat, rollering over cutting in. either paint wet on very wet or let dry. 2nd coat always ok, maybe to do with these high resin content enulsions.

8. Sound replies. Except glub.

9. Mr GrimNasty

Nah, nothing to do with porosity or poor prep!

Anyway come out looking fine in the end.

I think the problem was that the ceiling was very cold, we'd had a couple of cold nights and the roof space is uninsulated at the mo. pending some wood worm murderizations.

10. flonk

flonk New Member

always use crown solo