making a tv cable longer ?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by spindle, Jan 7, 2010.

1. spindle

spindle New Member

Hi all, Happy new year.

I have a question i would like to fit a lcd tv on the wall and run the cable in small conduit, what is the best way to lengthen the power cable ?

Thanks for your time

2. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

You could use a proper flex connector but if you're thinking of putting it in conduit you would be better soldering heat shrink.

3. spindle

spindle New Member

seneca2 would i have to do this as the conduit is to be surface mounted on the wall ?

4. edward current

edward current Active Member

just go to b n q and get a 5 or 10 mtr coaxal extension... easy peasy

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

It wont look very nice with all the cables run in surface conduit.

6. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

just go to b n q and get a 5 or 10 mtr coaxal extension... easy peasy
    ----------------------------
    He did say the mains cable daydreema!

7. Keyarl "Pyro" Pryor

Keyarl "Pyro" Pryor New Member

Whatever floats your boat i suppose. Id have a bit of unistrut tray running the cables tie wrapped. I like the industrial look in my front room lol

8. edward current

edward current Active Member

just go to b n q and get a 5 or 10 mtr coaxal
    extension... easy peasy
    ----------------------------
    He did say the mains cable daydreema!

DOH............ sorry i must stop daytime drinking :)

9. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

would i have to do this as the conduit is to be surface mounted on the wall ?
    -----------------------------
    No you don't have to but you'll need pretty large trunking to get a flex connector inside it!
    Could put the connector behind the tv and then just run the new cable through the trunking, maybe that's what you were thinking in the first place?

10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I reckon its best to put the TV on a proper TV cabinet. That way you get the correct viewing height etc, and theres no faffing about chopping walls and stuff.

11. The Dormouse

The Dormouse New Member

As JP says, you get the correct viewing height. You could find with experience that the wall position is inconvenient or uncomfortable. Changing it will be a hassle & mess up the wall, unlike the flexible option of using a cabinet or table. Also it will be easier to access any sockets or controls on the back of the TV.

12. spindle

spindle New Member

thanks for your replys i need to hang the tv as its going on a bedroom wall opposite the bed so veiwing will be lying down, so it looks like i will join the power cable behind the tv and run the cable and ariel in small conduit along the underside of the coving.

13. Stoday

Stoday New Member

Ahha! So you need to connect your DVD player too then? ;)

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You'll get a block connector in conduit/trunking, if you cut it into two singles and stagger the joints.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really