stair rail

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by phillleem, Jan 10, 2010.

1. phillleem

phillleem New Member

Hi
    we have recently bought a house and want to improve the stairs. Currently there is a straight stair rail which comes back on its self on the landing ( boxed in). How do we spindle the stair case and the landing?

2. G Brown

G Brown New Member

with wood.....

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Gordon, tut tut :) I would engage the services of a local, recommended carpenter

4. Squeaky doors

Squeaky doors New Member

I'm sure there is a correct way of working out the spacing between the balustrades etc if thats what you are needing. Maybe someone on here can tell you how to do that. Go to B&Q and have a look at there stair products if you are unsure, will probably make sense then.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

There needs to be less than 100mm between spindles, most of the rest is maths

6. phillleem

phillleem New Member

Thanks Chippie, the problem is the landing: the stairs we can manage but the landing is immediately to the left of the stairs (comes back on itself). If we spindle the stairs there will be another higher rail for the landing! I know this sounds confusing but can't describe any other way!

7. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

If we spindle the stairs there will be another higher rail for the landing!

So use longer spindles on the landing.

If that's not the answer you need to describe the problem better.

8. phillleem

phillleem New Member

Found it on another forum
    thanks

9. Piratejoiner

Piratejoiner New Member

There needs to be less than 100mm between spindles, most of the rest is maths

Huh?

Wrong and wrong !

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Go on then, explain.