Lack of Hot water to shower!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jaw, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Jaw

Jaw New Member

We have moved in to a new house about 4 months ago, the house was built and lived in by a builder who seems to have done all the work himself!. We currently have a standard 1050 x 450 indirect vented hot water cylinder in the loft that supplies the hot water for the house and to the shower via a Salamander ESP 75 pump (4 bedroom large detached house), the pressure at the shower head is fine. The tank is heated via the boiler and we also have an immersion heater to heat the water more quickly, if needed. The complaint I have is that the cylinder seems to quickly empty of hot water. My wife will shower for about 5 - 6 minutes and then I will shower straight after for the same amount of time, but the hot water usually runs out. Is it just a case of replacing our cylinder for a larger one, or are there other solutions available?

Any recommendations on actual cylinder models to use would also be welcome

2. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

if the shower is pumped it can use up to 15lts a minute , 2/3 is hot and 1/3 cold , as you have in total 12 mins of showering time then thats 180lts total volume , on the 2/3 hot ratio you will run out , check the water temp as the stat could be set too low , but no more than 65 degrees though. you could install a new cylinder of greater volume or a unvented cylinder and do away with the pump, a unvented would need doing by a g3 reg installer , not a diy job sorry

3. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

for a unvented i fit santon prem plus , others have their favourites , megaflow etc

4. Jaw

Jaw New Member

Thanks for that

If I went down the route of a larger cylinder what size would you say would make a noticeable difference? Also what make of hot water cylinder would you recommend?

5. spanners2001uk

spanners2001uk New Member

a megaflow would be your best answer, you could fit it in place of your emursion take and you would never run out of hot water

6. Dreadnaught Heating

Dreadnaught Heating New Member

Also what make of hot water cylinder would you recommend?

Before you look at brands, think of the practicalities, you lose space for the towels linen etc above the cylinder, then the the extra weight needs to be factored in, remember every extra litre weighs 1 kilo extra, so the floor may need strengthening - or 1" ply base covering more joists. You may alsp need to upgrade the cold feed to 28mm, and, ideally the storage cisterns need a volume of 225 litres(50galls) ditto weight warnings!

I have a 'Manco' monster cylinder approx 170 litres.

PS, for the regulars on here, Walter would no doubt recommend some sort of 'heat bank' where is he when we need some amusement..?

7. spanner man 2

spanner man 2 New Member

the easy answer is to shower first and then wife after , you wont run out of hot water then

8. Jaw

Jaw New Member

Thanks to everyone for their replies so far

Would it be possible to install another standard 1050 x 450 hot water cylinder (with its own cold water storage tank and immersion heater) parallel to the existing one, to double the current capacity of hot water?

Sorry to keep rabbiting on but I'm trying to look at all the possible and most economical options.

9. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Yes it is possible but that would be an expensive and complex solution! I would get a n engineer to check out your current system. That size cylinder ought to cope OK.

10. britishblue

britishblue New Member

a megaflow would be your best answer, you could fit it in place of your emursion take and you would never run out of hot water

What complete rubbish you talk.

BB

11. G Brown.

G Brown. New Member

I agree with Captain, it should cope, its only a 2.25 bar pump. Get somebody round, i like un-vented but its a crazy idea in this case.

Doh! Question, is the vwater up to heat before you start showering.

12. Jaw

Jaw New Member

Captain Leaky - why would it be expensive? what would be involved to be able to use an additional tank next to the existing one?

British Blue - who is talking complete rubbish, and why?

13. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

1. To install a second tank would not only require all the tanks and cylinders but a major upgrade to your boiler and controls.

2. An UVC is nice but not necessary - the type and size of cylinder is not your problem.

Your existing set up should cope just fine with lots of hot showers - Get it fixed, it's not working correctly.

14. Jaw

Jaw New Member

Thanks for that Hotdog

What could be the problem with my current system set up?

15. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Simple - the stored hot water is not hot enough. So either the controls are not working correctly or the boiler water temp is set too low.

16. britishblue

britishblue New Member

Jaw, the guy that said this was talking complete rubbish (and can't spell either):

You still have to heat the water in a megaflow, so of course you could run out of hot water. The only difference is that you wouldn't need a pump. Fitting a megaflow in place of your existing cylinder is a ridiculously expensive suggestion, and unless it was bigger than your existing cylinder it wouldn't solve the problem.

BB

17. Jaw

Jaw New Member

So what would your answer be British Blue?

Thanks in advance

18. solenoid

solenoid New Member

you could install a small heatbank or maybe the same size as yours, no end of hot water!!!

19. Jaw

Jaw New Member

20. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

like i said in my first post your pumped shower could use 15lts per min with a big shower head like that therfore it runs out of hot water. do check the water temp when the cylinder is up to temp, it may not be hot enough, but no more than 65 degrees mind. also is the timer set on when your are showering to reheat the water ? as said if you dont know how get someone in to check the above