battery impact drills capacity chart please contribute

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by big all, Jan 23, 2010.

1. big all

big all Screwfix Select

ok i am going to start an idea as a rough guide lol
    i thought perhaps suggest 10x voltage as a guide i know its extremly simplistic but thats the idea
    any body please contribute towards this thread with your thoughts an experiences with impact drills and screw sizes

ok my thoughts is perhaps 10x the voltage and possibly a percentage deducted for the shank size to compensate for the extra work so say 10.8 x10 =108mm - screw size as a percentage so a large 6mm= 6 percent off 102mm at !!

but for the minuite we will stick to 10x so

10.8v=108mm
    12v=120mm
    14.4=144mm
    18v =180mm

your thought please

big all

2. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

All depends what type of battery Big All. You cant compare impact drivers , without stating which power source they are using. Ni-Cad. Li-On, NiMH
    Each has it's own characterisitcs.

3. dunc

dunc New Member

Whilst some batteries perform better than others; for the sake of the exercise it needs to be ignored. The source of supply is not being examined.

It does look like a very linear calculation, but may well work as a rule of thumb.

4. trowelmeister

trowelmeister New Member

My bosch 12v babies are 125 torque that's with 2.6 ah nimh batteries, i've used the 14.4v ones and there's not much difference in performance,i think some of the 18v li-on impact drivers are 150-160 torque, so what batteries are used effects the maxium sustainable torque, i think? something like that!

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

in theory all batteries of the same voltage will be identical regardless of the amp hour rating
    the volt are the engine and the ah is the fuel tank
    now i am shure there will be a few percentage points where perhaps a lithium ion may have have more power over an old nickle cadnium but for this excersize we need to egnore them otherwise this handy simple guide will need a maths calculator to work out lol

big all

6. dunc

dunc New Member

okay lets assume an uninterrupted supply of power. so temporarily forget about the batteries.

would each of the screws drive in with the same ease at all the different sizes and power supply levels?

7. big all

big all Screwfix Select

can people please tell me what impacts the have[make voltage ]
    battery type and ah rating[as in nicad 1.7 ah]

your experiences [size /type off screw/bolt ]
    and how pleased/ surprised you where with the results

thanks big all

8. wuddy

wuddy Member

10.8v bosch not realy very good it starts impacting too soon on small screws i now just use mine for a pilot drill
    the bosch 10.8v screwdriver is better

makita 4 function, good all rounder so you only need to carry 1 drill again it starts impacting a bit too soon but will drive in most things but does drive a bit slower on big screws, im happy enough with it

9. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

12V dewalt will drive 4inch screws all day long and my 18V dewalt will drive those bigar5e decking screws with the bolt heads 200mm long with NO probs at all, but it does get heavy after a while!

10. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heeelllooo wuddy thanks for answering
    i think the compromise is the early ratcheting to allow capacity over weight

although i am surprised you prefer the screwdriver i have the origional single gear hex drive and i prefer the impact for heavy screws which version off driver do you have

big all

11. wuddy

wuddy Member

it was the second version big all

its slow but it will wind in 4" screws

12. wuddy

wuddy Member

i will do a back to back test tomorrow with the 2 bosches

13. big all

big all Screwfix Select

cheers wuddy the more information to hand the greater informed we are ;)
    big all

14. wuddy

wuddy Member

i did a test and here are the results

5 x 90/73mm screws all batterys fresh charged
    into pine (redwood)

Bosch 10.8v impact 19 seconds
    Bosch 10.8v screwdriver 7 seconds
    Makita 18v 4 function on impact 7 seconds
    makita 18v 4 function on drill speed 1 5 seconds
    Dewalt 28v drill sp1 3 seconds
    Dewalt 28v drill sp2 2 seconds

i then tried some 6 x 125/73mm screws but didnt time them

they all wound it in and the difference in time was probably comparable with the differences above apart from the bosch impact which got about 20mm in then just rattled without moving the screw so that was a fail

impact drivers appear to be better as you dont hear the motor slow down but my test proved as i thought that they impact too soon causing them to wind in the screws slower overall

15. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

times your drill size by your battery size that givives you your running time.
    ie, 10.8 v 1.3ah

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'd stick to tiling if I was you :)

17. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

10.8 impact says on box /pilot hole first b4 driving screws in.

18. big all

big all Screwfix Select

excelent wuddy thats what we need [sorry i took so long to answer ;)]

i realy need somthing longer than 4" screws to test my bosch 14.4 impact and ryobi impact lol

i do agree about the bosch 10.8 ratcheting early

big all

19. big all

big all Screwfix Select

not all relivent to this post but usefull anyway
    ok have done a test with an 8x3"screw
    bosch 10.8 impact just
    bosch 10.8 single speed just
    bosch 10.8 2 speed little bit left
    bosch 10.8 angle driver no chance 2"about max
    bosch 14,4 impact easy peasy then 12x4" no probs and quick
    so the additional 3.6v or 33% more power is greater performance say 50%