Door Hinges - Where to put them

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by DufferDIY, Feb 19, 2010.

1. DufferDIY

DufferDIY Member

I'm going to replace some internal doors in our house and could do with some advice about where to place the hinges.

The original doors were hollow ply and the new ones are heavier solid doors, about 22kg each. The replacement hinges are 3" steal double washered butt hinges with a chrome plating chosen by my wife so no arguing there.

I'm going to put the top hinge at 6" and the bottom at 9" but I'm guessing that two hinges might struggle under the load. If I use three, where should the be placed?

Options seem to be one in the middle or another somewhere near the top. I can see the rationale for either but could do with a steer.

2. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

6 inches down from the top of the door and 9 inches up from the bottom! this is because of the optical illusion created by the eyesight of 'Foreshortening' when looking down at the bottom hinge. The middle hinge is always placed equally between the two.

3. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Personally, I'd put the top and bottom hinges , wherever the hinges on the original doors were (less chopping out in the door frame) The third hinge would go right in the middle of these two.

4. JarraMag

JarraMag New Member

I agree with John, if your not replacing the door frames then put the 2 hinges where the last ones were. Less patching up of the frames and therefore a tidier job when finished.

I was always taught 7" from the top and 9" from the bottom but it seems to vary an inch or 2 between joiners.

As for the 3rd hinge, you could put it in the middle, but personally I would put it somewhere more towards the top, as that is where all the weight is in the door. I would say an inch or 2 below the top hinge.

5. dunc

dunc New Member

If its a 45mm thick door I use 4 inch hinges. I overlay the old 3 inch positions, putting the third hinge in the centre.

Hinges must have the ability to either hold the weight of the door from falling to or away from the door jamb. you could just as easily put the third hinge near the bottom hinge and the door would still perform as well.So long as the hinges are up to the job. But it would look twatty if you did.

6. DufferDIY

DufferDIY Member

Thanks for the advice.

I suppose "2 at the top" has the pro of taking more weight, "1 in the middle" will lessen warping.

The existing hinges are 6 and 9 (ish) so I'll reuse the rebates and plug the old screw holes since they don't line up with holes in the new hinges.

Taking a good look at the frame with the door in place, the latch side is vertical and the bottom of the hinge side is wider by a few mm. I can't move the frame so to try to compensate I'll plane a couple of mm from the top hinge side and widen the latch side gap by a mm. I think this will give the illusion of fitting.

I think I may need to rebate the hinges into the door by slightly different depths to compensate though. That'll be fun!

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

6 inches down from the top of the door and 9 inches up from the bottom! this is because of the optical illusion created by the eyesight of 'Foreshortening' when looking down at the bottom hinge. The middle hinge is always placed equally between the two.

I was always led to believe that the 6" 9" distances were for optimal weight distribution, and also to allow for the heights of the top and bottom rails, the distances ensuring mainly that you do not fit the hinges to the ends where joints may be. Same for the centre rail, hinge just above it to ensure all solid fixings.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. LucÃa FermÃ

LucÃa Fermà New Member

You silly boy

9. Mr. Handyandy

What do you know ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Who do you think you're talking to there, Andy?

3 posts..........

Pfffttt!

11. Mr. Handyandy

I would apologise, but having replied to a counterfeit, I've no need, all's well!

:)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. manassa

manassa New Member

I was taught 7" down and 9" up,which on a traditional door does avoid the tennons on the top and bottom rails.

13. mr.kitchen

mr.kitchen New Member

see Q.I. for correct answer, and listen to Steven.

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Er, Q1 would be a question not an answer and who the * is Steven?

[Edited by: admin]

15. mak

mak Member

Spread them out in a bunch

16. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

on the door......

17. joinerjon83

joinerjon83 New Member

I was taught 6 down and 9 up.. then the third in the centre of the 2 as it keeps the hinges (usually) Away from the end of the tennons.. and gives better weight distribution also. But i agree if your not replacing the lining put them where the hinge cutouts are already... does make things look neater rather than patchy...

18. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

5 year old post, doors have probably fell off by now. :D

19. Derek.K

Derek.K New Member

^ Hopefully not if they did the hinges right! xD

20. joinerjon83

joinerjon83 New Member

Theres no need to be like that.. i didnt realise the date.