Single Impeller Shower Pump.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by petak, Feb 19, 2010.

1. petak

petak New Member

Hi,

I am currently updating my bathroom and have a small query. Is it OK to fit a thermostatic shower valve using a single impeller shower pump i.e. pump for the hot feed and the cold running off the mains? Some seem to say this will be OK but others say I need to use a twin impeller pump.

Thanks
    Peta

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

No no and no again!

3. bath master

bath master New Member

def not get a pro to advise you on best solution. Save you loads in the long run.

4. george the dog

george the dog New Member

oh no!suggest you read manufacturers instructions very carefully,or as suggested to others before,get a plumber to look at the job

5. petak

petak New Member

OK, thanks for the replies I will go for the twin impeller which I was going to use orignally anyway. I did check the manufacturers instructions and thought I'd saw a diagram showing this, nevermind.

Thanks again for the help
    Peta

6. george the dog

george the dog New Member

no worries go carefull pal

7. G Brown

G Brown New Member

8. britishblue

britishblue New Member

The answers you have received are not very helpful. Saying "no, no, no" doesn't actually tell you waht you should be doing.

You cannot pump the mains. Pumoping the mains is against the Water Regulations. Furthermore, why would you want to pump the mains.

You won't get a satifactory shower from gravity hot water and mains cold water unless you install a venturi type of shower mixer which uses the pressure of the cold mains water to suck the hot water along with it.

The Trevi Boost is a venturi type shower mixer.

Any other route and you will find it impossible to balance the hot and cold water.

BB

9. britishblue

britishblue New Member

Forgot to say, you should definitely not be installing a twin impeller pump.

BB

10. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Well it depends how you read his question - a twin impeller pump is the right solution IF both hot and cold are tank fed. But I agree you cannot pump the cold from the mains, or get a decent shower with hot from a tank and cold from the mains ( unless venturi)

Gordy posted the useful Salamander fitting instructions so hopefully the OP will read them! :)

11. Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon New Member

You could however make the hot feed to the shower in 22mm,15mm cold feed then fit a pressure reducing valve to the cold with a non return valve. And then try to balance hot and cold not ideal but it can be done.

12. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

LOZ!

Only a cowboy would suggest that and only a cowboy would do it!

13. Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon New Member

It can however be done, I wouldn't do it for a customer but have done it in my own home to save ripping the place apart. And yes I have a nice reasonable shower for me to have a wash after being in * all day LOL.

Enjoy your cruise HD what countries are you going to be visiting?

[Edited by: admin]

14. imran_

imran_ New Member

Only the worst plumber ever would fit a bodge in their own house!! If you really had no option, fit a pressure eq set, or single impeller on hot with 1 bar reducers on both hot and cold. An accurate selection of mixing valve will cope with smaller fluctuations.

Still a bodge though.

15. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Cowboy Loz strikes again! :(

16. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

Still a bodge though.

needs must when the devil drives

17. Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon New Member

Needs must, and it solved a problem.