Condensation in back of wardrobe

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by billhicks, Feb 20, 2010.

1. billhicks

billhicks Member

Currently have fitted wardrobe in the chimney recess of an upstairs room. The wardrobe is flush up against the back wall and ceiling. Occasionally we get some mould growth in the back of the wardrobe.

I'm re-doing this bedroom soon and will be fitting another wardrobe in the other chimney recess.

In order to prevent further condensation in the wardrobe I was planning to fit a 25mm sheet of insulation in each recess, behind the wardrobe. Is there anything else I should do to prevent the same problem?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The cold outside wall is the cause of your problem, insulating in the way you suggest is a good move, also fit a couple of vents for ventilation and movement of air. I have used the polystyrene wall veneer (Warmaline)on a number of fitted wardrobes jobs in the past with good results.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Open a window.

4. billhicks

billhicks Member

If I add insulation it is going to completely block any passage of air behind the wardrobe, therefore how does adding vents provide any benefit?

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You said fitted wardrobes, sounds like you mean free standing!!!!

6. Nickam

Nickam New Member

As Astramax says. Insultion and ventilation is the answer. The wall behind the wardrobe has to be at a temperature above the dew point of the air before you can stop condensation forming. You can also remove the condensation laden air by ventilation but to be effective the air has to be removed before condensation can form on the wall. This particular problem was highlighted in a book of building failures for surveyors that I purchased some years ago. If I remember rightly, the answer was to put a 60watt bulb in the back of the wardrobe along with insulation so the temperature of the static air was kept above dew point. Probably not a good cure these days in our energy conservation aware culture though.

7. vote CONSERVATIVE

vote CONSERVATIVE New Member

Build installation vents into the wardrobe. One at the top and one at bottom, this will allow air to circulate from the room into, and out off, the wardrobe.

vote CONSERVATIVE.

LOOCIFER.

8. Nickam

Nickam New Member

What's an installation vent ?

9. billhicks

billhicks Member

What I'm saying is, if I friction fit 25mm insulation board into both chimney recesses, then fit the wardrobes directly in front.

What's the point of ventilation behind the wardrobes as there's no room for air to circulate as the insulation is taking up the space?

The wardrobes are fitted, and cover floor to ceiling.

10. billhicks

billhicks Member

Perhaps im misunderstanding. When you say ventilation I assumed you meant behind the wardrobe. Is that correct?