Remove skirting board from behind radiator?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by nell1, Feb 23, 2010.

1. nell1

nell1 New Member

Have removed all skirting boards from the room except for the one behind the rad. I'm a bit stumped as to how to get this off without removing the radiator. There is a window above with a window sill that protrudes over the rad as well, which is handy.

My initial thought was to chisel round the nails to gain some leverage and pull out the nails and hopefully prize out the board somehow.

Anyone suggest a better way?

Pic link below

http://twitpic.com/14vf8h

Cheers,
    Nell

2. JarraMag

JarraMag New Member

Personally i'd rather have the radiator off. You've got to think about getting the new skirting boards in aswell. But you could try making a cut up the middle of the skirting board, to split it in 2, then use a crowbar either side.

3. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

you could try a crow bar under one end, use a hammer shaft for a bit of leverage and lift vertically upwards.
    Slowly, just try to work it loose a bit at a time.
    Alternate ends.....................oh and have a plumber on speed dial :)

4. fitero

fitero New Member

This is where the brilliant Fein saw comes into its own.A perfect angled or straight cut,easy.

5. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

yeah but......................c'mon, you can't beat a good bit of wrecking with a crow bar ;)
    A tools that does the job in a quarter of the time with little/no mess and no chance of a *!! ..........where's the fun in that?
    ...........now i'm just off to put my yankee through my hand :)

[Edited by: admin]

6. fitero

fitero New Member

Sorry Audi,right as per...

7. Dereekoo

Dereekoo Member

Depending on type of nail punch them straight through the woood or grind off the heads and lever skirting board off them or use hole saw around the nail heads but expect knakered saw at end of job. Loosen nuts on radiators i/2 a turn and the lift up radiators off fixing brackets and lower forward on to floor area, place 4 bricks where corner of radiators will come to rest.Also put cloths around where nuts are to soak up any seepage. Take out skirting board and reposition radiator.

8. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

:)
    ........correct

some days you just wanna gets some propper mans tools out and do a propper days graft........cordless this, nail gun that ***!!!!!!!
    A nice 20oz claw hammer, yankee and a good old sandvik ;)
    Oh and do you have a guide for your hand saw.......yep.......it's called an eye!!!!!!!!!!

9. fitero

fitero New Member

Just seen a bloke in baq carting an old yankee around looking for a spare pozi bit.***.

10. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

hahahaha
    had mine 25+ years, still works as good as the day i bought it..........lost count of how many cordless drivers i've binned!!!
    New bits readily available, no probs.........and they last longer!!!!!!!!
    Well i'm off to the saw doctor to pick up my sandvik disston after it's anual service :)

11. Bcountry

Bcountry New Member

I would burn them off

12. Bcountry

Bcountry New Member

Or, could you not remove the wall behind the radiator and the skirting board should come away real easy then.

pffffftttttt

13. Toughonstains

Toughonstains New Member

Fein multimaster will be just the job. Cracking tool so handy.
    Use the bi metal blade.

14. G Brown

G Brown New Member

15. busy builder

busy builder New Member

This is how I do it:

Use one of those thin bladed Japanese pry bars to prise the skirting away from the wall, if it digs into the plasterboard use 2 of these bars....1 as a fulcrum behind the other bar to spread the force.
    Pull the skirting away as far as possible then draw a line across the skirting at 90deg (top to bottom) and using a fine toothed hand saw cut the skirting under the radiator at 45deg.
    This enable you to replace the skirting afterwards with a little bit of filler in the joint if neccessary.
    Hope that helps, or use a Fein saw.

16. imran_

imran_ New Member

Post on plumbers forum and ask for Loz. Tell him your rad is leaking. He'll come round and set fire to it with his blowtorch

Or a Fein !

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Depends how many you can reach, but can you get a hacksaw blade down behind the skirting to cut the nails(there are tools to hold a blade open ended) ?

If you can cut the nails, then it's free to manipulate.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. chris durd

chris durd New Member

take a 25mm flat bit and drill a series of holes either side of the pipes from the top to the bottom. Works ecerytime.

19. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

get some 3m aluminum oxide paper and just keep rubbing until the skirting is gone :)
    Tip. Coarse grit will get the job done much quicker,
    ...........you will need about 4 sq miles of it and 3 years to spare
    ;)

20. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I'm not sure, but I think the guy wants to re-use the skirting(otherwise a hammer, chisel and some splitting might have taken place already).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really