Rough extension costs

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by r0land, Feb 25, 2010.

1. r0land

r0land New Member

Is £1000 per sq metre still the accepted ballpark figure for a single storey extension? It would be a timber frame inner, rendered blockwork outer skin with a lean to roof. Internal finish would be to skimmed walls ready for decorating.

Cheers

2. alwaysworking

alwaysworking New Member

Where abouts are you,
    I could do this for £997 per sq mtr saving you loads

AW

3. Nickam

Nickam New Member

I could do it for £996.99 per sq m. :)
    Seriously though. That figure is what the RICS use as a good guide but of course there are a lot of other aspects to consider such as access etc.

4. wuddy

wuddy Member

if its a rough extension you want i could do it for £700

5. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

All depends how rough you want to go mate. If you want it really really dangerously rough, I could do it for £9.99.
    ;)

6. ­

­ New Member

I am very rough and very slow (I like to take my time to get it extremely rough). However I am very expensive. If you wish to book me please send cash up front now.

ta much.

7. r0land

r0land New Member

That'll be my three quotes then? £997, £996.99 and £700. Excellent, all under budget. When can you start?
    Seriously, I appreciate it is the perennial question on here about what a job will cost and I understand that there are multiple factors involved. All I was getting at was have prices come down at all in the last year or so given the current state of the economy or have they gone up due to material costs or the fact that there is less work around.
    It's just a bit of a catch 22 situation - I don't want to get plans drawn up then realise I can't afford it but won't know the price until I get the plans drawn up. I'm sure I'm not the first person to come across this.

Cheers

8. TonyT

TonyT New Member

Hey R0land

Rough extension costs are a no no! Square metre rates have not really changed - you'll just get more builders being competitive and so cutting their margins to win the business. Some larger companies are even taking on smaller jobs that they wouldn't normally get involved in just to ensure that they can continue paying their workers for doing something, rather than pay them for sitting around and not building anything. You can therefore get some jobs at COST if they are a larger company fighting smaller guys for the business. I'm not encouraging this because this is what I have found as a builder myself and lost some business recently to this tactic.

If you go for a square metre/foot rate you're not accounting for any hidden extras, and every job has a different spec. There are plenty of builders around who offer design AND build services so don't worry about the square metre rates, just find a builder that will do both the designs AND the estimate, and ensure they give you a proper full breakdown of the costs. Even ask if they're using some software like HBXL (www.hbxl.co.uk) or Quanti-quote (www.quantiquote.co.uk) to do the estimating. That way you'll know if they're blagging it or not because these software packages do it accurately.

BTW - I'll do it for £699. LOL.

9. ­

­ New Member

TonyT - :^O :^O :^O

What a load of complete cobblers mate! :^O

Big builders do it at cost!

Design and build is better eh? What tosh.

HBXL indeed eh? They do it accurately eh?

You are a fool.

10. Nickam

Nickam New Member

Roland,
    I have looked into previous jobs that I have drawn and that I have seen the estimates for and generally, the smaller the job, the more it costs per square metre. For a small two storey extension it works out at £1600 per square metre and for a very large (total 60 sq. m)it works out at £1200 per square metre. As I said in an earlier post, it also depends on other aspects of the job. If you haven't got any fancy triple glazed doors or such like (I've seen those come to £30,000 on their own) then use a figure of £1600 per square metre and if can't afford that then maybe you shouldn't proceed.
    Cheers,
    Nick
    buildingplans.web.officelive.com

11. r0land

r0land New Member

Tony / Nick,
    Thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail, it is much appreciated. Ideally, I will go for design and build but if the costs are prohibitive then I may get plans drawn up separately and have it built in stages.
    Hopefully, it should be straightforward: no special design features, pitched roof,2 uPVC windows & 1 uPVC door, 2 x Veluxes and what will be the internal access doorways are currently windows at the back of the house so the lintels are already in place. I reckon the overall size will be about 6m wide by 3m deep and the finished floor will be about 600mm above ground level so no huge amount of building up required. I am budgeting for about £25k to £30 k for the lot.

Thanks for the advice.
    Cheers

12. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Member

Roland where abouts are you.
    Nick . Can you plese forward me builders that would build for £1600 m2. I am in london and a 3x3m extension, pitched roof two, albeit electric veluxes. Roughly cheapest price 25k. Including wiring ,upvc door, plastering but no kitchen or bathroom floorcovering so basically a shell.

13. r0land

r0land New Member

I am in the Glasgow area.

14. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Member

Well if you get it done for your money you can send them down here for some work. LOL

15. Nickam

Nickam New Member

Late last year saw a job done locally (Herts) for £25000 and that was for a part two storey, part single storey rear extension. A good builder too. Chaos, if you want the names please email me, I'll gladly send on their details.
    Nick

16. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Member

Thankyou Nick.

17. Aurorastar

Aurorastar New Member

I don't know if this helps. We have just had two rough quotes for a single storey, block built side extension. 29ft by 13ft, pitched roof, patio doors one end, single door the other, two rooflights, all electrics, rads, plus knocking through wall into (small) kitchen and replastering. Both quotes were £30k (one plus vat, the other is not registered). This is in Manchester.

18. r0land

r0land New Member

Thanks for that, that sounds like a very reasonable price you have been quoted there. I'll be delighted if I can get it all done for my budget. I have someone coming round to give me a quote for design and build in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers

19. wuddy

wuddy Member

This is in Manchester.

take into consideration if one is not registered for vat he is not likely to be very experienced at this type of work as 2 extensions a year would take him over the vat threshold

20. Aurorastar

Aurorastar New Member

Well it's funny that you should say that, Wuddy. He actually seems to do quite a few of these type of projects - he had just come from giving someone else a quote for a similar build and we were recommended him by someone who he did a large side extension for. The vat reg limit is £56k? I couldn't see how he managed to do more than 2 of these projects a year.

What happens if it turns out he has gone over the vat threshold with your project? Does the customer then have a surprise vat bill to pay?

As it is, we are probably going with the vat reg guy - he was more on our wavelength, whereas the other guy had an idea of what he wanted to build rather than what we wanted. Both had good references, but I'd rather pay a bit more and get what we want. £30k seems an awful lot for a single-storey but it seems to be the going rate around here, given that the cost of materials has gone up so much.