1/4 Turn, 3/4

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by WackySpike, Mar 9, 2010.

1. WackySpike

WackySpike Member

Hi guys, my 1/4 turn, lever, hot water basin tap started running profusely. So I turned it off via the isolation valve. When I opened it up I discovered that the 3/4" ceramic tap valve needed replacing, as a piece had snapped off it. Now forgive my ignorance but would this do the job;

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/16575/Bathrooms-Showers/Bathroom-Taps/Tap-Reviver-Kits/Swirl-Modern-Reviver-Kit-Bath-Lever-Tap#

Why I'm slightly perplexed is because I have been looking up for ceramic tap valves on ebay and they're more expensive than the reviver kit;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tap-Valves-3-4-Ceramic-Disc-Cartridges-20-SPLINE_W0QQitemZ180476742987QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_Bathroom_TapsPP?hash=item2a05408d4b

Just to clarify does the 1/2" or 3/4" represent the diameter of the thread of the valve?

I was also wondering whether a standard tap valve would do the job on the body of the existing level tap? I'm guessing not but there's no harm in asking.

Anyways thanks in advance.

2. WackySpike

WackySpike Member

Sorry about the title. Forgot once its posted you can't edited it. Isn't it about time screwfix got into the 21xt century.

3. G Brown

G Brown New Member

ceramic cartridges are bespoke to each manufacturer. Buy spares from the manufacturer or fit new taps.

4. G Brown

G Brown New Member

1/2" is basin and sink, 3/4" is bath.

5. WackySpike

WackySpike Member

Thanks for your reply G Brown, searching through previous posts I came across Lunns website which I think you recommended to someone. Judging from the Lunn website the Reviver Kit Sink/Basin ½” Lever Tap from screwfix wont be sufficient, as it has to be specific to the tap manufacturer?

On a side note what are the 1/2" and 3/4" actual measurements of.

Once again thanks.

6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Tap revivers may well NOT work in a ceramic valve tap. B&Q Sell replacement ceramic cartridges in a range of sizes which MAY work. New 1/4 turn lever taps are only about £20 though.

The size is the traditional bore size of the feed pipe: basin and sink taps have 1/2" BSP threaded tails and bath taps have 3/4" BSP threaded tails. Nothing to do with the cartridge size, these vary from make to make.

7. Bungditin.

Bungditin. New Member

8. Bungditin.

Bungditin. New Member

Just realised you want ceramic then you'll have to go to your local plumbing merchant for them.

9. Dick Fuller

Dick Fuller New Member

I think you've had a funny turn son

10. WackySpike

WackySpike Member

Thank for your reply Captain leaky, Looks like new tpas are best option. Can't be * looking around for the right size cartridge.

[Edited by: admin]