Mate wants his garage flat roof doing cheap

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by gavin-t, Mar 9, 2010.

1. gavin-t

gavin-t New Member

Friend of mine wants his flat roof re doing as its totally gone.

Its 5.6m wide by 4.7m deep.

Joist wise im thinking 8x2's at 610 centres ( i could risk it with 6x2's but its a big span at 4.7m) with 18mm osb on.

Thing thats bothering me is the front of the garage. The garage door opening is about 5m wide and at the moment its got timber across it. Steel is out of the question because of costs so i thought i would price up a glulam - a 115mmx300mm worked out at 280+ vat + delivery!

So im thinking about getting 3 9x2's and coach bolting them through - do you think this would be strong enough to take the weight of the roof?

I have searched online but im not paying for the trada tables and i cant find them for free.

Gavin.

2. ecm

ecm New Member

I have searched online but im not paying for the trada tables and i cant find them for free.

What's your e-mail address Gav?

3. ecm

ecm New Member

PS your plan sounds ok. 220 x 47 @ 600 centres for 4.7m span C16. So say 8" x 2" just ok-ish unless you're going LABC ;)

4. gavin-t

gavin-t New Member

I thought the 8x2's would just about do it, its just the how i want to do the front above the opening. The timber would measure 225x150 (3 9x3's coach bolted through) but its got to span a good 5m AND take the weight of the roof.

The timber there now is a LOT smaller than that and its held fine for years but i just want to check.

Oh yeah my email is i<u>c</u>e998@hotmail.com

Gavin.

5. ecm

ecm New Member

Sounds reasonable Gavin, 18mm OSB doesn't exactly weigh a lot. I've sent you an e-mail.

6. gavin-t

gavin-t New Member

Yeah i got that cheers :)

Just wondering if its worth sticking a 9x2 in the middle to bring down the size of the timbers. I reckon i can go down to 5x2 as the span will only be 2.4m so i should be able to save a bit more there.

Gavin.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You would have to allow for the fact that that one 9x2 in the middle would be taking ALL the weight of the roof, as all the smaller joists would be attached to it.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. ecm

ecm New Member

Just wondering if its worth sticking a 9x2 in the middle to bring down the size of the timbers. I reckon i can go down to 5x2 as the span will only be 2.4m so i should be able to save a bit more there.

I wouldn't bother tbh Gavin for various reasons.

9. !!

!! Active Member

Gavin your mates sound just like mine ferking buddgies cheap cheap cheap.

Do it and more importantly price it right.

Would be tempted with 2, 9 x 2 bolted with a fitch plate

10. gavin-t

gavin-t New Member

Quoted him £1500 to rip it all off, all new timber, new felt, fascia, gutter, re clad the front with matchboard and render the brickwork on the front.

Balls in his court now!

11. !!

!! Active Member

sounds about £700 - £800 too cheap, sounds like its a decent size roof etc

12. gavin-t

gavin-t New Member

Yeah i know its well under :(

There isnt a skip in at that price, nor am i doing any painting or staining.

Tbh work is a bit short and i would rather under price a job to take a bit home than have no work at all.

Wouldnt do this for anyone other than friends or family though!