Over painting emulsion

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Welshmally, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Welshmally

Welshmally New Member

I've searched the forum but couldn't find a specific answer to this:

emulsioned bathroom ceiling last year. Unfortunately we didn't put a mist coat on and it has started to flake. I have scraped off the loose bits so far.

Should I a) seal with (Zinsser?) and then re-emulsion or b) strip off ALL the old stuff and start again?

If the answer is b) can I have some tips for removal of old stuff as what is left seems fairly well stuck on (and my shoulders are knackered).

BTW I Zinssered some areas of stain before I started and the emulsion doesn't seem to have adhered any better to these bits than any other.

Cheers
    WM

2. decortyke

decortyke New Member

Hi mate

This has happened on two jobs weve done in the last 12 months - both bathroom areas.

I dont think its down to not putting on a mist coat. Its probably more to do with it being a steamy enviroment.

To be safe, strip off all the existing paint using a flexible filling knife cos they are thinner and sharper than a scraper. Apply a coat of alkaline resisting primer (thinned) to the whole ceiling and then redecorate when completely dry.

3. Welshmally

Welshmally New Member

Thanks DT.
    I was afraid you might say that.
    Is there a brand of the sealant you would recommend that comes in DIY-friendly quantities, and how much to dilute?

WM

4. blister

blister New Member

just paint on top of it, don't dilute it

5. Welshmally

Welshmally New Member

Now I'm confused......... :(

Any more info from anyone??!!

WM

6. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Wm.

What type of paint did you apply to your ceiling.

Potty.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What type of paint did you apply to your ceiling.

You also mention the word stain.

8. Welshmally

Welshmally New Member

There were large areas of staining that I treated with several coats of Zinsser. I then used 'ordinary' emulsion - not sure which make.

It lasted about 6 months before it started to peel. Unfortunately there are no windows in the ensuite so we rely on the extractor which works quite well to get rid of the steam but there is obviously a lot of moisture in the room after we've finished showering.

Hope this helps.

WM

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

In area's where high humidity is a concern you would be well advised to use an eggshell finish paint, this is available in acrylic or oil based paint. Go to B&Q and buy Dulux "Kitchen and Bathroom" paint, problem solved.[