Airtight construction. What are the rules on achieving this in a build?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Useless 1, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Useless 1

Useless 1 Member

In an effort to try and maximise the benefits of an underfloor heating system in a new build I'm reading a lot about the role of ensuring the house is constructed in such a way as to be as airtight as possible.

Now, I know how much work has to go into building a passive house (but only off the back of a few episodes of Grand Designs!) and thats taking it a bit far. Are we talking more about the attention to the finer details when considering a run of the mill semi. Is it more a case of requiring better quality materials, for example windows and doors or just making sure the fitters pay more attention? With the advent of trickle venting within building regs I'm finding it hard to fathom what the deal here is. I would have assumed that a house was pretty airtight anyway. Bricks, mortar, plastering etc. A vapour membrane enveloping the loft conversion so negating the effect of ventilating soffits. I'm just a little lost as to what extra i'd be able to do to make this airtightness as effective as possible!

Maybe get busy with the expanding foam guns!?!?

2. newey

newey New Member

I built 2 semi detached flats a couple of years ago when all this came into effect. I used all the usual building materials, nothing better quality than usual. The only thing I did from the norm was to apply silican to the join of the floor and the walls, behind the skirting. Waste traps are sealed, trickel vents and extractors are also sealed. They open an outside door and put a massive fan in the door frame, sealing it at the sides. When they switch on the fa, it sucks the air out of the house, which they are measuring. You'll find air coming in through sockets. Providing you reach a certain level you'll pass. I spoke to the company completing the test prior to starting and got as much info as I could.

3. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

Doesn't any house need some ventilation ? Can't imagine it would be a nice place to live if was airtight ?

4. farmacist

farmacist New Member

look up whole house ventilation with heat recovery

5. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

Doesn't any house need some ventilation ? Can't imagine it would be a nice place to live if was airtight

It needs building without air leaks - and then ventilating.

For the air tightness test the trickle vents, air bricks and extrators are taped up. Its then tested and then the tape is removed to make it not air tight.

Mad innit?

6. farmacist

farmacist New Member

thats why its a good idea to used a controled ventilation system with heat recovery if you have gone to the trouble of making the building air tight and well insulated.

When we get to zero immisions it may be the only way to comply!

7. michaeljoseph008

michaeljoseph008 New Member

you have to look deeply on the vantilation of the house for this

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

8. akkimk16

akkimk16 New Member

I got his done from this company and I think you guys should check they sell cheap and new in market they are trying to enter market so

https://passivehousesystems.co.uk/