RSJ Fixing

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by geome1, Apr 3, 2010.

1. geome1

geome1 New Member

I have had an RSJ fitted 13ft long 4"x 7" to support garage roof joists
    The builder has fitted the rsj with it resting onto brackets bolted to the wall
    In my opinion it should have been built into the wall or had steel columns
    Can anyone tell if this is acceptable and will it pass building control

2. ­

­ New Member

It all depends what brackets and how well they are fixed. Steel beams are often bolted to other steel beam using brackets (cleats) but it is unusual to bolt a bracket to the wall to support a steel beam. What does the drawing say?

Building into the wall is much preferred.

Perhaps they ordered the beam too short and this method seemed a good idea at the time to save buying another (longer) beam?

Call in your BCO to look at it and ask him what he thinks.

3. D.S Builders

D.S Builders New Member

You can not put a ub on to brackets bolted to the wall. I would guess that there would be quite a bit of load on the beam due to the size 178x100x23kg and because loads work on a 45 degree angle all the loads will be bearing on to these brackets. As No Name says it either has to be in the wall all on stanchions seems like they ordered the beam minus the bearings.

D.S

4. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

rsj's are usually set into the wall onto a concrete pad, often cast in situ and can be shimmed up if necessary with pieces of steel plate, assuming the wall is suitable for the loading anyway?, normally this would be done your architect or structual engineer