stone lintel query

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by russ295, Apr 13, 2010.

1. russ295

russ295 New Member

hi,

just after a bit advice, i am looking to change two windows and a door at the rear of my house into a large single opening with folding doors. the opening will be aprox 4mtrs wide and the house is 3 storeys (30ft plus). its an old house (1905) and has sandstone lintels and cills etc, walls are double outer and single inner and about 16" thick.
    i dont want to have a steel lintel that is boxed with plastic or wood, i want it to "look" like its a stone lintel. inside would be boxed with plasterboard. any ideas about how it can be done?

cheers

russ

2. D.S Builders

D.S Builders New Member

If i were you i'd put a ub on the inside prob 178x102 which can be boxed in on the external leaf you can get concrete lintels which look like sandstone and they are very good i use them a lot. I use ilam stone and they can make them to your specs. wwwilamstone.co.uk

D.S

3. russ295

russ295 New Member

cheers mate,

will have to get some calcs done for the beam and see if they can do a lintel to suit,

russ