Door hang prices

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by wizwoz, Apr 17, 2010.

1. bedworthbrickie

bedworthbrickie New Member

I have a trademan that will hang a six panel cheap white internal door with handle for 20 pound a pop in a old frame or new frame, and his work is top notch, midlands area,

but if i were having a soild oak door or something more expensive id be willing to pay more. But as far as 75quid a internal door regardless of which door you were fitting, then your having a fecking laff! No tradesmen is worth 75quid an hour. full stop

2. lb

lb New Member

i quoted for 10 6 pannel white pre primed doors the other day in old linings that are all over the place, and had to move stops in 12 mm old doors were 42mm sapele doors quoted £40 a door, the bloke thought i was takin the **** hes a surgeon on god knows how much, i thought it was fair but o well cant win them all can ya

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

How do you judge whether something is too expensive, if you do a quote in advance and stick to it then its a fair price. £75 a door gets your floors and furniture dust sheeted, no boots in the house, the old door disposed of, the new one collected and stored if needed, old hinge and latch positions car fillered and rubbed down to ensure all handles and hinges match through, all cutting and routing outside and if inside on an extractor, front drive swept. In short a premium service at a premium price, dont price dependent on what others charge why not show people why your work is worth twice what others charge.

Synergy Team and vivaro man like this.
  4. Jay_Kent

Jay_Kent New Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with charging £75.00 per door providing its a top notch job, Your not holding a gun to their head making them say yes! are ya?
    If they are sensible they will get other quotes if not then thier problem.
    I dont think there is a going rate, you earn what you need to live on.
    some customers will think your taking the p*ss, others wont blink an eye lid!
    Think i'm gonna seriously bump my prices up.
    If your constantly in work and booked up then you must be doing well, keep going!

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Cheers jay, you seem to have an understanding of how business really works, if people let customers dictate the prices then all that happens is that as tradesmen we end up in to quote Gordon Brown a race to the bottom with everybody undercutting each other scrambling for work. Lots of my customers want to feel they are paying for quality work. Anyone who says that £75 a door is too expensive is talking rubbish, too expensive for them perhaps but reasonable and value for money for my customers. People should name their price and stick by it and back it up by proving their worth, if you are scared into taking £20 a door because thats what they think they can get then they will always be earning at the bottom of the range. If you buy a pint of Fosters in a dirty glass in a Wetherspoons with a tramp next to you wetting himself you might pay £1.29 on a good day, buy a pint of Fosters watching the sun set in Cornwall and you might pay £3.00+. Both the same drink but I would happily pay the extra for the more enjoyable experience, some however would baulk at the extra cost and spend their afternoons standing in tramps p*ss.

FatHands likes this.
  6. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

....but Fosters is tramp's **** !!! ....but not quite as strong.... :)

7. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

I agree wholeheartedly with you goldenboy.

I charge a premium for my tools and skillset, and have no shortage of work, quite the opposite in fact.......all the work is by recommendation and I have no need to advertise.

I also, won't take on jobs if I get the gut feeling a potential customer is going to be a git. Life's too short to be working for miserable tight sods. Recessions come and go, but there's always good work and money for good tradesmen.

8. dunc

dunc New Member

I would say this. There are untold DIY outlets where anyone can have a go at doing the job.

But if they decide to employ someone then they have to accept the cost, the quality of work, the time etc.

To me a door is like a musical instrument. A solid timber door resonates and creates a musical sound. It just looks a bit different and there's no guy in a black suit playing it. So I tune my doors as well as fit them.

For this people will live happily, with my work.

All work needs to be profitable. Only you know when you are being greedy.

vivaro man likes this.
  9. S Power Carpentry

S Power Carpentry New Member

I know this thread is old but Jesus I should really start charging £75 a door as well.... yesterday I hung 7 fire doors in old frames including routing out a groove for fire strips.... gave the whole building a hoover after and left everything 100 percent.

Wouldn't be too bad making £525 for a days work :cool:

10. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

That's a really good analogy!

11. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

The money I'm on, I'll soon be that tramp. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

FatHands likes this.
  12. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I can lend you a cardboard box JJ

13. joinerjohn1

Don't need one Wiggy,, when I get to that stage, I'm going to buy a gun,,,,,,,,, and shoot a few random strangers.. Just think 3 square meals a day, drugs, alcohol, a nice library, central heating, etc ,,, All courtesy of Her Majesty. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

14. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I like the Idea JJ, but i thought you where already at that age, and what about the innocents you will kill, immigrants accepted of course.

JOKE

15. joinerjohn1

Ahh, not quite there Wiggy, According to the bible,, none of us are born "innocent" because of the "original sin" There ya go,, just as long as I quote the scriptures,,,,,,,,,, :D:D:D:D

16. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

There are no virgins JJ

17. FatHands

:D :p

18. Rob Bowery

Rob Bowery New Member

Ha ha, read this thread this morning. Then went out to hang two light weight doors with three inch butts,latches,handles witch i Quoted the client blind for and said to the guy it would be forty pound.

Arrived at clients at one o'clock on a Saturday, doors had to be shot in on the head and the bottom, one on both sides and one only on one side due to poor frames, one frame had to be spliced because the keep position was ruined, then fitted door stops and gave the place a good Hoover all for forty pound. Came home and said to the missus * this from now on people will get charged the going rate.
    Witch I think will be 30 pound per door to include the latch and keep,+ 1 hour at 15 pound for the splice and 5 pound per door step set.

If any body thinks this is to dear then they can get some one else to do it and I will stay at home with my kids.

Ps, the worst part is the rude * never offered me a cup of tea the whole time I was there.

Edited by screwfix peter due to language

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2014
    Synergy Team and FatHands like this.
  19. FatHands

I literally * myself when I read this bit!

On a serious note, I think this whole thing about customers dictating is wrong. I can't go to the supermarket and say I'm only giving you 25 pence for a mars bar, or go to the pub and say I only want £1 worth of beer.
    Give your customers a fair price for a good job and stick to it. All this so and so will do it for half the price is often nothing more than try-it-on tactics.

Edited by screwfix peter due to language

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2014
  20. Rob Bowery

Rob Bowery New Member

Made you **** your self, check this then big boy.

When I can't get carpentry work I do painting instead, for witch I still charge 80 pound a day, (college trained). I painted a women's house inside , 7 rooms emulsioned,rads, cills,woodwork glossed front and back doors and frames glossed,patched up fist holes in the walls, ( not mine ) hung a new door outside, spliced the garage door frame, glossed the up and over garage door and frame and facia the lot. about 1000 pound in labour.

2 weeks later I found out she spent 2 and a half grand on a set off curtains for her living room. The worst part is I still hav'nt learned,lol.