Block paved drive.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by plumberman4u, Apr 19, 2010.

1. plumberman4u

plumberman4u New Member

Hello There.
    I know it's difficult to give a price without seeing job but here goes...
    Parents told me they've just had a quote to re-do their drive.
    It's currently Block Paved but uneven.(Done years ago).
    Approx 20m long by 4m Wide, 4 drain covers.
    Guy that came give them a price of £2000+ but they haven't seen any samples or pictures.
    Guy is returning next week to show samples AND Start.
    I suggested they get at least 2 more quotes but they said He can only start next week or not at all!!!
    We live in LLandudno, North Wales.
    What do you all think.

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Don't be pushed.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

the area is 80 sq m so sounds cheap, whats he proposing ?? more block paving or relaying the existing ?? and has he allowed for recessed manhole covers ?? more questions to ask, plus if he can do it that quick he aint busy!

4. plumberman4u

plumberman4u New Member

He's laying new block.
    The first thing I thought of was also that if he was good how can he do it so soon.
    Just been told that cost does not inc vat or removal of waste!!!

5. totalsplurdy

totalsplurdy New Member

Your parents need an all-inclusive price before beginning.

To leave items like 'waste disposal' (for which they'll likely charge a fortune whilst actually keeping the old blocks for themselves...) as an unknown quantity, your folks are leaving themselves wide open to an inflated final bill.

What they'll actually charge for waste might well be quite reasonable, but won't be cheap.

However, £2k for 80m2 sounds cheap to me.

6. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

Also depends if he intends to dig out and redo all the base or just chuck a bit more sand in the hollows!

7. the old un

the old un New Member

Appreciate your concerns for your old Mum and Dad. Will try and point you in right direction although I do not know rates in your part of country, how ever will not be far adrift.. I am based Beds & Bucks.
    £2000.00 for 80m2 is very, very competitive if he is going to do the following.
    Supply and lay new 50mm block paving.
    Scarify existing sand base.
    Supply an additional 2 ton of sand to make up levels as required.
    Wack, rescreed to levels whole 80m2 sand base.
    Break out supply and bed 4 new recessed manhole covers.
    Lay paving, as previously described.
    Wack, dried sand joint fill, wack.
    If you are getting all that, you are getting very reasonable price.
    What worries me is that you state £2000.00 plus. What is the plus and how much is the plus?
    Regards VAT. If he is Vat registered, he will add 17.5% on to the £2000,00. If he is not Vat registered he can only pass on to you the Vat that he has paid on materials. Budget on labour, say £650.00 to £700.00.
    Reasons for must start next week.
    Either got 2 miles square paving to start the following week and he has a slot to fit you in. Could happen, but doubtful these days.
    He is emigrating. Can’t say I would blame him.
    He has got no work and is pushing you.
    You say that price does not include removal of waste. Any one giving a labour and material price should be responsible for removing their own waste. i.e. of cuts of cut blocks and surplus materials.
    You have made no mention of who is lifting and removing from site the existing block paving. In fairness, his price can not possibly cover this item.
    Budget costing to lift existing blocks and load to skip 80m2. Say £250,00. exclusive vat.
    Skip hire, stick my neck out. Say £190.00 inclusive. Allowed for one number only 6yd builders skip, which holds 4 M3, so blocks will have to be stacked in skip and not thrown in, other wise you will need two skips
    Suggest, ask for fixed price quotation in writing (not estimate) stating what has been allowed for, and ask to see a couple of previous jobs he has done.
    For all I know he may be the fastest and best slab layer in your part of the country, but on the other hand, there are a lot of chancers about. Suggest getting another one or two quotes, better still with all respect to your mum and dad, and if your dad is retired, imo £2000.00 would be better spent on a cruise ship.
    Hope this helps. For advice only.

old un

8. the old un

the old un New Member

sorry, made typing error on £250.00. put comma in instead of full stop.
    old un

9. plumberman4u

plumberman4u New Member

Thanxalot for that Old Un.
    Very informative post.
    Foound out this morning cost will be "about" £2300 plus v.a.t. Not inc Skip Hire and waste disposal.

10. ÛÛ

ÛÛ New Member

"about" ?

wtf?

Dump the chump, he's a dispute waiting to happen, guaranteed.

11. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

guaranteed.

yeah there will be problems ahead :(

12. totalsplurdy

totalsplurdy New Member

Don't forget to report back - 'cos we like a laugh on here.

13. plumberman4u

plumberman4u New Member

Hello Again Everyone.
    Just returned back from parents, Size of drive is 20m x 3m. I was spot on guessing length but a bit over on width!!
    Builder has left 4 samples whyich are very similar to those down.
    No update on pinning him down to a set price.

14. totalsplurdy

totalsplurdy New Member

According to this: http://www.pavingexpert.com/blocks.htm it typically costs around £70/m2 all in, or around £32/m2 for materials only.

No idea how accurate this is - it's bound to vary.

But, your quote still sounds good. Bear in mind, of course, the vast bulk of the work has already been done - the sub-base (or whatever it's called). You can bet they have no intention of digging all this up again.

I guess ('cos I don't know) that it comes down to just HOW uneven the current drive is. If it's VERY uneven - suggesting poor quality work in the first place, and an inadequate sub-base - then this WILL surely have to come up and be re-done. In this case, I simply don't see it being done for this price - they'd be nuts...

If the unevenness is relatively slight and is basically down to general settlement over a number of years, then I guess the sand screed can be cleared and the sub-base 'topped up' where it's lacking, and then a new sand layer put down. A MUCH easier job.

Still a good price.

But you MUST have a fixed final figure first. If they are seemingly dodging this issue, then EXPECT problems.

Ask - and have in writing - what the job entails. You need DETAIL. And then you monitor them to make sure they do what's NEEDED.

I bet the drive will look great as soon as it's finished and they pocket the money, but will it last?

15. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

And I was having such a bad day :) .

16. ÜÜ 

ÜÜ  New Member

With d/a on the case this could run and run. It only needs Handy to say block paving is illegal in the UK to make this a real classic.

17. the old un

the old un New Member

Sorry about this gentlemen, but only trying to help poster out.

50x100x200 block paving per square metre
    Paving 14.00 inc
    Bedding sand 3.00 inc
    Silica sand .50 inc
    Wacker and splitter hire 1.50 inc
    Labour 6.00
    Total 25.00
    Overheads Profit 20% 5.00
    Total per metre square £30.00
    old un, Guidance only