On and Off Peak Underfloor Heating??

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Dave .M, May 1, 2010.

1. Dave .M

Dave .M New Member

Hi all, I would like to install an underfloor heating system in a conservantory run off an on-peak and an off-peak supply. What my plan is, is to run a 2.5mm t/e supply from my normal on-peak fuseboard and another 2.5mm t/e supply from an off-peak fuseboard (supplied from a radio tele switch kwh meter) to a 13amp fused spur (for local isolation), then was thinking from the load of each fuse spur running a 2.5mm t/e to a switch where the supply cable for the underfloor heating would be. So basically this switch would be able to switch between the on-peak and the off-peak. This is where I need your HELP!! on where to get a switch like this. Was thinking it would have to be double pole so you dont get any interferance between the two supplies, as the plan is to have the underfloor heating on at night and then be able to turn it on in the day if needed. Hope someone can help on where to get a switch like this or another way of installing the system?????? This is my first post so will much appreciate all feedback. Many thanks for your time. Dave

2. propper spark

propper spark Member

I think your making this more confusing then it actually needs to be. I personally would take a supply from the ring circuit through a fused spur, and then through a programmable room stat, which normally comes with your kit. It you turn it on or have it programmed to come on in the day then you pay full rate. If you put it on at night or what ever you want to call it, Normally 12 - 7 that your meter will have switched over and your only be charged off peak. You are thinking that the board which comes live on off peak which normally does storage heaters, if no good if it connected to if you then want it on in the day. That’s true, but your other board is charged at the same but is live all the time. Hope that makes sense.

3. Dave .M

Dave .M New Member

Hi thanks for the reply, so does the main kwh meter(on-peak suppling the main fuseboard)charge the same rate of electric at night as an off peak kwh meter would??

4. propper spark

propper spark Member

Your meter will have 2 Reading on it. One is the electric used on peak, and the other off peak. There's a arrow pointing to which tariff is in use. Whenever you use electric you are charged depending what time it is.

5. madmaz

madmaz New Member

how many meters do you have fitted ?

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Dunno if the chap has got a boiler..but if he has would it be better to whip across the primaries, and pull of a manifold and run from that?

7. Dave .M

Dave .M New Member

There are 2 meters. One connnected to the main house fuseboard. The other is not connected to any thing but is a radio teleswitch type which would be used for off peak electric.

8. Dave .M

Dave .M New Member

A wet underfloor system is N/A.

9. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

A photo of your intake would be good - We can confirm what metering you have then.

Usually you will have an economy 7 type tarrif which provides cheap electricity to ALL circuits at night, while also automatically switching on some circuits for you for storage rads & immersion.

You may however have an older 'white meter' install which are not available these days. They provide you with a fixed rate 24/7 for the day circuits and a cheap rate for the off peak hours for only the switched circuits.

10. madmaz

madmaz New Member

you need a timer with two supplies for example horstmann BX2000 one feed from your peak supply and one from your other metered board but you need to know what times your non peak meter operates as you may have to fit a timer and contactor as well

11. madmaz

madmaz New Member

scrap all that a teleswitch is not a meter !!

12. madmaz

madmaz New Member

you just need to fit a timer to your circuit as you must have a multi rate meter fitted

13. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

If he has two meters maz then it aint a Multi-rate meter.

Tis probably an old E7 or white meter setup that's had it's original mechanical T/S swapped out on failiure with a stand alone Radio teleswitch.

Single phase Multi-rate Telemeters are singular devices with no other DNO kit on the board bar the Cutout and Isolator.

14. madmaz

madmaz New Member

sine he says he has two meters one connected to the fuse board the other connected to nothing and is a radio telemeter, which says to me he has a multi rate meter and used to have a night store board connected to the telemeter but this has been removed. Thats how it sounds to me anyway

15. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

OP states

There are 2 meters. One connnected to the main house fuseboard. The other is not connected to any thing but is a radio teleswitch type which would be used for off peak electric.

So I read it as 2 x meters with one meter having an adjacent Teleswitch.

Maybe the OP can clarify?

16. Lectrician

Thats why I asked for photos, as the desciption was not clear.

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Yeh wheres the photos..:)

18. Dave .M

Dave .M New Member

Hi thanks for the reply, just checked out the horstmann BX2000 and looks like the type of switch i've been looking for. Has anyone used the horstmann BX2000 for underfloor heating before???? Did it work ok??? Sorry but got no camera for any pic's. The radio teleswitch (KWH meter) is a black on not an old white one. Hope this helps.

19. Lectrician

Draw us a diagram of the supply position...

20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Or take a picture with your mobile phone OP, and upload it to Flickr, and then put it on this website.