Awesome leadwork....have a quick look at this...

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by ian anderson, May 2, 2010.

1. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

2. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

looks good, but tomplum could knock one better than that though:D

BTW ian, why the spam:( why post your polishing peanuts site on here[:O

3. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

just a signature file, personal blog n stuff is all!

4. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

how you gonna rod that when it gets blocked with leaves :^O :^O

5. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Yeah, it looks good but would not work well in practice! I guess the original fitter was on a day rate!

6. palavaman

thats why i said tom could do a better job.

7. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

I never thought about cleaning it out.... lol!

8. palavaman

I never thought about cleaning it out.... lol!

they'll just put some wire mesh by the entrance to stop leaves finding their way down:D it does work and keeps plumbers out of gutter maintenance work:(

9. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

Those poor, poor plumbers.........

10. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

thanks for your confidence in me palavaman, but it looks to me a lot of work wasted , it probably took the plumber days to make, but it looks awefull, i'd have used a cast rwp staight down, a lot quicker and imho tidier,

11. palavaman

dont be fooled ian. plumbers aint poor. they just pretend to be. given the chance, they'll strip you of your last penny.

try calling a plumber in to do simple basics (say change a tap washer?). he/she walks in. ''my hourly charge is £40+parts''.
    homeowner: how long will it take then?
    plumber checks to confirm issolating valves are fitted, then responds, ''about 15 minutes''.
    homeowner: so that'll be £10+parts?''
    plumber: no, as i'm not charging a callout fee, the minimum charge is £40+parts.
    homeowner: how much will the parts cost?
    plumber: the washer will cost £5, so total cost is £45.

Plumber gets job done in 12mins, is given a cup of coffee with a couple of digestive biscuits while mrs Smith goes to get the £45 squids. when the money is handed to him/her, he/she babbles on: you know, those screwdown taps aint good for your age? you need quarter-turn taps that use ceramic discs. they last longer, and are easy to operate as they use a lever. i can do you one for £250 squid. trouble is you may need to change that basin, so thats an added £85 squid. when would you like me to come and do the job?
    homeowner: i'll talk to my daughter and ring you with a date.
    plumber ends up with £400 from a simple tap washer job. you call them poor??????????

12. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

I know, I know!

I never had the b4lls to ask for £50 when fitting a single slate, the builders 10 minute equivalent of a tap washer.

Probably why I drive an old truck......

13. palavaman

you hit it right on the head m8.

you want to see the spanking vans these chaps drive:p take Loz for instance. once parked outside a customer's property, they'll pay anything you ask:D

14. mantor12

mantor12 New Member

palavaman

Re: Bathroom Floor Tiling Question
    Posted: May 3, 2010 9:41 AM Reply

cant understand mantor's post BTW, I'm relieved begpie is taking it all in her stride and hanging in there.

shame I am 300 miles away from that loft. would've ignored the health warnings, binned the gin & got down to work. ah well, I better get back to bed and ignore the forum till i get better otherwise that bloke mantor is going to do my head in

You post this at 9:41 and then you come up with this load or tripe 20 mins later :^O

Re: Awesome leadwork....have a quick look at this...
    Posted: May 3, 2010 10:04 AM

dont be fooled ian. plumbers aint poor. they just pretend to be. given the chance, they'll strip you of your last penny.

try calling a plumber in to do simple basics (say change a tap washer?). he/she walks in. ''my hourly charge is £40+parts''.
    homeowner: how long will it take then?
    plumber checks to confirm issolating valves are fitted, then responds, ''about 15 minutes''.
    homeowner: so that'll be £10+parts?''
    plumber: no, as i'm not charging a callout fee, the minimum charge is £40+parts.
    homeowner: how much will the parts cost?
    plumber: the washer will cost £5, so total cost is £45.

Plumber gets job done in 12mins, is given a cup of coffee with a couple of digestive biscuits while mrs Smith goes to get the £45 squids. when the money is handed to him/her, he/she babbles on: you know, those screwdown taps aint good for your age? you need quarter-turn taps that use ceramic discs. they last longer, and are easy to operate as they use a lever. i can do you one for £250 squid. trouble is you may need to change that basin, so thats an added £85 squid. when would you like me to come and do the job?
    homeowner: i'll talk to my daughter and ring you with a date.
    plumber ends up with £400 from a simple tap washer job. you call them poor??????????

Sometimes it's better to be silent and thought an idiot than to gob off and confirm it.

15. Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon New Member

How did my name get brandished in this I have just done a job customer all apprehensive about getting a plumber out on a bank holiday. Same rate as any other day, £70 for a inlet valve on a wc simples.

Of course it hasnt help that the installer put the over flow higher than the handle lol, you gotta laugh. :)

16. palavaman

another ''deluded plumber'' upset that he has no work to do as a consequence of overcharging OAP's and the truth of how he went about it is comming out:^O:^O:^O

dont get ian and many others to find out you are thick as MUCK:(

ive got a stalker, blimmey. i quote you Terms & Conditions 5.3.4 of the Talk Forum:
    though shall not threaten, abuse, disrupt, STALK, or otherwiser violate the rights of palavaman:p

little wonder you keep being banned:(

Loz just relax man? I envy your van & the way its quiped up thats all BTW, £70 an hr aint bad. just shame mantor, aka walters, itanje, etc etc has no work to go to:D

17. Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon New Member

LOL ahve they been sniffing the solvent cement again lol, bless them ;)

Is Hotdog still AWOL? :(

18. duff777

duff777 New Member

Sniffing it for years ,no harm lol . As for the fancy leadwork ,lovely but how good with blockages as said ,leaves filling it up ,even getting springs down could pose problems

19. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

I dont normally take sides in arguements nor do i fancy taking sides,but in this case i have to agree with Mantor you are definetly a plum and tar all plumbers the same way,yes there are some numpties whoes soul job is to rip off old grannies,but this is not the norm

We work hard and have decent standard of living from our endevour,you on the other hand palavaman will always be an *******

20. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

I love the way people pick holes in fantastic bit of leadwork,these imaginary leaves and all sorts which would block the pipe work.

If this had been the case it would have been ripped out years agi and replaced,it looks like its hundred years old,and im sure it will still be there long after we are all dead

I love the .......................I could have done it better mentality !!!!