Wiring supply to new boiler

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by ItalianJob, May 6, 2010.

1. ItalianJob

ItalianJob New Member

Hi All,
    Hopefully someone can clarify my understanding - I was planning on wiring the supply for a new boiler myself (taking it as a fused spur off an existing circuit), and my understanding is that as this is a modification of an existing circuit it does not fall under 'notifiable work' as far as regs are concerned. (it won't be going in a bathroom or kitchen by the way).
    Am i right?

Many thanks,
    SAM

2. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

No it won't be notifiable Sam.

3. billsparks

billsparks Member

Any work on a heating system is notifiable and subject to building regs

4. Had my boiler upgraded last week, thanks to the £400 boiler scrappage scheme.

Anyway, NICEIC inspection took place on the same day and he clearly informed me & the plumber, that the spur and 230v room stat was notifiable.

Additionally, the Baxi duotec 40HE platinum boiler's installation manual, states:
    "<u>Preliminary Electrical Checks</u>
    Earth continuity, Resistance to earth, Short circuit and polarity tests should be performed using a suitable meter

5. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Is the boiler in the kitchen or fed from the kitchen circuit Tony?
    No question regarding the testing,that's standard practice for any new electrical work, that has nothing to do with notification.

6. Seneca, it is in the integral garage.

The boiler testing should be standard practice but the plumber i used didn't test anything and had full intention of wiring it himself.

When Mr NIC pointed out the regs I obviously completed the work. However, since then i have received work from himto carryout all the wiring on a care home heating system, so who knows more work maybe coming my way.

I am quite surprised this information is not provided when they have their inspections. Mind you from what he his informing me, Gas safe inspections are now just the 5 year inspection/refresher.

7. madmaz

madmaz New Member

All central heating work is notifiable

8. ItalianJob

ItalianJob New Member

Thanks for all the replies. A bit confused though! There seem to be conflicting ideas regarding this - the bonding and continuity will be ok, as the main pipework will be plastic and the copper work will be bonded.
    But am I correct to understand that just taking a spur off an existing circuit (regardless of whether it's for a boiler or not) does not fall under notifiable work?

Thanks,
    SAM

9. madmaz

madmaz New Member

if the spur is for a boiler then its notifiable

10. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

But am I correct to understand that just taking a spur off an existing circuit (regardless of whether it's for a boiler or not) does not fall under notifiable work?

It's not as simple as that, Sam. It depends on the location. You can fit a spur in the dining room for example - but not in the kitchen (without notification).
    But, wherever you do the work, you're still required to follow the various 'Regs'.

The wiring for central heating controls is notifiable (except for minor replacement/maintenance work). But this wouldn't normallly apply to a simple spur for a combi which isn't fitted in a kitchen/bathroom.

Lucia.

11. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

if the spur is for a boiler then its notifiable
    ---------------------
    A spur is a spur Maz whether it's for a boiler or an outside light makes no difference! As long as it's not in a special location or on the circuit of a special location or a new circuit it's not notifiable. Agreed replacing or fitting a boiler or installing new central heating system is though.

12. madmaz

madmaz New Member

yeah ok fair do's

but any control wiring is notifiable

reconnecting a boiler to an existing spur is not notifiable though !

13. ItalianJob

ItalianJob New Member

Thanks for all the info!
    SAM